BootsnAll Travel Network



When in Rome, come up with a better title for a blog entry

On my last day in Florence, I saw Michelangelo’s David. I don’t think I’ve ever been more awed by a work of art. Pictures and replicas don’t do it justice. In an attempt to bring about renewed critical study of the David (to keep it from becoming just a postcard picture), the museum has filled the hall leading to the David with a few modern artworks, which were surprisingly good.

While I was going to Rome, I took a side trip to Assissi (as in St. Francis of Assissi), and walked around a little town high on a hilltop overlooking Tuscany. There are about 5 churches jammed onto the mountain, the most famous and impressive one being the Basilica of St. Francis. He’s buried there, and there’s a museum with a collection of his relics and some artwork. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon, but I’m pretty sure it’s not a very hot spot for nightlife, so I continued on to Rome.

The hostel I’m staying at is unlike any I’ve seen so far. It’s basically a large apartment with about 15 bunk beds throughout the rooms. The staff are all young and very welcoming. I didn’t even go out at night; the staff, a bunch of Aussies and I just drank Peroni and talked until 2 in the morning.

Today I started walking towards the city center. The first big attraction I saw was the Spanish Steps. I don’t get what the big deal is with them. After that, I went to the Trevi Fountain (the one that you throw coins into); it’s a really amazing sight. I never thought a fountain could knock my socks off, but boy were they knocked. Then I went into the Pantheon. It was big, I guess, but the most interesting part about it is that Raphael is buried there. And, I had no idea that it was a church until I saw the alter.

Well, I’ve cooled off enough in this Internet cafè, so I’m going to try to find the Colosseum.



Tags: , , ,

-1 responses to “When in Rome, come up with a better title for a blog entry”

  1. Surfer says:

    Pantheon and the spanish steps are extremely dull when compared with the greater sites in Rome. The fountain is amazing at night, as is the colessium, I would love to tell you the restraunts I went to, but when you spend the night wandering with wine bottles in hand, it tends to get a little fuzzy.

  2. admin says:

    Taking your advice, I just picked up two bottles of wine (for four bucks), and plan to visit the fountain and the Coliseum tonight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *