BootsnAll Travel Network



Falling down

All is going well, I have a flight down to the southern-most city of South America, and indeed the world, booked for next monday, I´ve researched my short trip to Uruguay this week and just need to go to the ferry company office to book a ticket.

**Rant Alert**
All I initially want is the ferry timetable so that I can decide what time to leave and which to take – fast/slow, expensive/cheap etc. You would think they would save a lot of time posting this crucial information on the wall of the office, or having flyers available to pick up, but oh no, that would be too easy.

So I take a ticket and sit down waiting for my number. I sit there wondering calmly what it would be like for someone who didn´t want to book a ticket today and simply wanted the timetable as they´d still have to wait in line. Bing bong, 70 flashes up. I´m 17 away, this may take a while, never mind I have plenty of time.

Bing bong, bing bong, bing bong – my eyelids are getting heavy. Quite a few numbers fly through as people appear to have left and not waited, how could they miss this thrilling ride of a lifetime? Still not close though. After about 50 minutes I start listening to this american family attempting to book tickets at the desk in front while squabling amongst themselves. Bing bong, bing bong. I look round and I´ve missed my number by one. How long did they wait for Mr 87? Not bloody long I can tell you. The fuckers!!

I´ve spent ages waiting, can´t get a timetable, and then they bore me into missing my number. Bollocks! I grab another number and sit down again. The seat I pick is jinxed, some workman wants me to move so he can get to the window display, at this point Michael Douglas in Falling Down appears in my head – I think I´m going to go postal!

I´ve been used to countries where everything takes ages and often doesn´t work at all and that hasn´t bothered me, but I guess the european veneer of Buenos Aires has lulled me into thinking that things might be run well here. Not at Buquebus, they´re number one, they´re the only one, so why try harder!

Anyway, I got through the next 50 minute wait, didn´t go postal, got my ticket and all is set for Uruguay. My mental shotgun has been put back in it´s box again, I think I just need a holiday 🙂

 



Tags: , , , ,

One response to “Falling down”

  1. Anna says:

    I just discovered your blog and haven’t had time to read it all but your photos are amazing! I’d like to ask you a few questions about them. Whenever you have some time please e-mail me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *