BootsnAll Travel Network



Central Coast and North Vietnam

Rupert writes

Hoi An
Tailor shops dominate the streets of Hoi An like water dominates the sea, and so it proved difficult to ignore the temptation to have our clothing desires created. By the end of our first day “maybe” had turned into “what colour”, and that quickly progressed to “we need a bigger bag to carry all this”.

And so, ladies and gentlemen, without further-a-do, welcome to…

The Hoi An Fashion show

1411
910
First up we have Rupert and Laura modelling one of a kind coats. Made to measure, then sent back to remeasure. Then sent back again! But eventually we’re happy. Lined with Chinese silk and big hoods (“no, we mean BIG hoods”)

23
We wanted complete comfort with no expense spared. These reversible dressing gowns are lined with Chinese silk. Only the best (“we want REALLY BIG hoods”).

76
Well, I did ask for it to be baggy. I also asked for a big hood, and I certainly got a big hood. The front pocket has hidden zips. It’s double layered, with fleece inside and out. It’s the perfect hoodie.

5
All Laura had to do was point at what she wanted from a catalogue, then she was shown this gorgeous green and away she went. Fab.

Hue
We spent only one day in what is referred to as the third capital of Vietnam, but it was a special day. We walked into Thu On Wheels and before we could catch our breath Minh Thu was sat at our side with a menu of motobike tours, ready to take our order. Despite disliking the forward, in your face approach many Vietnamese play when trying to sell you something we went with a half day tour. And we weren’t dissappointed:

PICT1524

PICT1489

PICT1467
PICT1463

PICT1455

PICT1551

The pictures say it all. Sorry we can’t post more… ran out of time.

Hanoi
Fourteen hours on a seat that reclines as much as polictians are honest is enough to put one off long distance buses for good. Although I was left with a stiff neck, Laura spent the night with a local jamming his head up against her leg (we were sat at the back, which at the time sounded like a good idea), whilst a couple from New Zealand had to deal with a Vietnamese sitting behind them, blessing their space with his feet all through the night, whilst leaning on the knee of the chap who was sleeping on Laura’s leg. These guys can sleep anywhere without guilt. In hindsight, I had the better deal.

We were dropped off at a hotel that was miles from the Old Quarter where backpackers gather and, most importantly, where the international post office is located, despite the hotel staff ensuring us we were just a five minutes walk away (we’ve come to ignore these helpful comments from hotels, as they are rarely accurate). Walking around a city at six a clock in the morning with our backpacks and nearly eleven kilos of clothes stuffed in a large bag with painfully thin handles was not nearly as annoying as the tout that refused, despite endless attempts, to leave us find any hotel other than his (one gets into a pedantic princible frame of mind with these matters after a while). After accepting that the hotel in the Lonely Planet book doesn’t exist, we eventually found a hotel with fair priced accommodation that included breakfast.

After sleeping the rest of the morning we were revitilised and ready to hike to the post office with to send off our clothes from Hoi An. My original guestimate was way off but the price for just under eleven kilos still made the purchases well worth while (now we just can’t wait to get back so we can wear our new clothes and snuggle up in our cosy dressing gowns).

Hanoi’s really just another big Asian capital city, and we wanted something a little more tranquil. With that in mind we booked ourselves onto a two day tour of Ha Long Bay. We’ll update you on this when we arrive in Laos, as we’ve run out of time again (surely not, I hear you all cry).

Where Next?
Laos is next, by way of a twenty hour bus ride that we’re both looking forward to as much as the turkey looks forward to Christmas.

Love to all.



Tags:

One response to “Central Coast and North Vietnam”

  1. admin says:

    Sorry, it’s not really monkey, its mummy monkey, great pics, love the clothes. good to know your still rolling. Love momkey

    EDIT (by Rupert): I changed the name so there’s no confusion!

  2. admin says:

    Thank you! Really want my cosy hoodie 🙁 Despite it being 40+ degrees out here 😉

  3. faye says:

    Amazing pics, i want made to measre clothes!!!! Not fair xxxxxxx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *