BootsnAll Travel Network



Still off the beaten track

Aug 16, 2005 – Tues

Today was another adventuresome day. I wanted to check out Isla del Cerritos — an island about 50 km from Resistencia that is in the confluence of the Río Paraná and Río Paraguay. I caught the 11:30am bus from Banco Hipotecario to the Isla. The return bus was at 2:30pm. 50km, not that far. I should have learned my lesson already!

I got to the island at 1:30pm (mostly dirt roads to get there), had an hour to explore. I had the bus drop me off in the ´center´, but there was no information or anything. I talked to a lady at a hostería and she gave me a pamphlet. Not much to do on the island, so I explored the area nearby. I found a beach with tree trunks washed ashore and walked along the shoreline to a rocky pier. These rivers are so huge. Across the river was Paraguay. From the pier, I walked up the stairs that lead to the capilla (church), walked on to find a kids train and camping areas. It was a short visit.

I took the bus back with the same people who dropped me off an hour earlier. So much dust came into the bus the entire trip back — I was coated with a fine layer of dirt when I got to town. I checked out of my hotel because I planned to head to Presidencia Roque Sáenz Peña tonight, so I couldn´t shower till I got there.

I took the 8pm La Estrella bus to Sáenz Peña. Luckily, it was much niser than the local bus I took yesterday and did not stop so much. I arrived at Sáenz Peña at about 10:45pm. The terminal looked desolate except for a Telecom place with 3 people in it. The lady at the Chaco tourist office recommended that I stay at Hotel Flamingo because it is centrally located and is 40 pesos a night.

I caught a cab from the terminal to the hotel for 4 pesos. It was not too far — walkable, for sure (without my big pack). Hotel Flamingo — walking through the hallway, there´s a flamingo with neon lights behind it, kind of cheesy. The owner showed me my room and it´s got a bed fit for a porn movie. A pink shiny, satiney duvet cover is the bedspread..hehe. But it´s a pretty nice hotel. Took a shower to get the grime off of me, and was the best shower I have had on my entire trip thus far. 🙂

Tomorrow, I think I am going to partake in the mineral baths and sauna, and maybe a massage or facial if it´s cheap enough. Why not spoil myself a little? 😉 I might as well do it now. In a few days, I will be back on the gringo trail…



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply