BootsnAll Travel Network



robbed once, robbed twice…

So, my 3rd day in the country I was robbed of my camera. The 3rd to last day in the country, I was drugged and robbed of $400 US. Yup. Sucks to be me.

Well, yesterday I hopped on the bus from Tilcara to Jujuy. I hopped on a bus from Jujuy to BsAs at 11am, a 24 hour ride. Anyways, the bus sucked like hell and was expensive. We had a stop at a comedor. I was by myself at a table. A girl from the bus asks to join me because she doesn´t like eating alone. I don´t mind. We talk during lunch. Then we end up sitting on the bottom of the bus (the top was all wet), and another girl was there, too. We chatted for hours and hours. Her stop was Tucumán, to visit a sick aunt. All was cool…or so I thought.

She drugged me with what I presume was a chocolate candy laced with something so potent to render me awake but paralized. I could not think, move, speak…It was like a dream state as I watched her dig into my money belt in my pants and take all of the pesos and US dollars. I could not do anything. Luckily, she left my passport, travellers checks, and bank card..it could have turned out worse. I got some movement back, and I had to throw up…I cupped my hand over my mouth, my movements were so slow, my feet weight so much, I spewed in my hand before I finally got to the bathroom and made a huge mess. I threw up and threw up and threw up. Anyways, when I got back, still in a semi unconcious state of mine, she left at Tucumán with my $400 US that I was going to spend on a shopping spree in BsAs. The bitch was gone.

Feeling sympathy for me, the other girl (20+ yrs old) on the bus asked me what happened. Our next stop, she took me to the infirmary at the bus station, but I was in no coherent state of mind. I barely remember it as of now, and I don´t even know what language I was speaking. She took me to the bathroom as well. This girl was my angel. I was rendered incapacitated. Word got around on the bus, and everyone worried about me, asking if I needed money. Luckily, she didn´t get to my wallet, which had enough to get to the hostel and then some. The people on the bus were the nicest, and would have given me anything. The girl, my angel, even let me borrow a sweater because it was cold. I didn´t report it to the police because I had to get to BsAs asap. Plus, I was really in no state of mind to talk, especially in Spanish.

I puked and puked and puked throughout the night. I just kept 3 plastic bags at my side, and when I needed to puke, I just puked in it. My angel sat beside me the whole time and took care of me.

At midnight, we were woken up because we had to switch busses. I puked outside the bus a few times, and my angel sat with me all the way. I passed out pretty well throughout the ride, waking up to puke a few times more. When we got to BsAs, I started to take the sweater off, and the girl told me don´t worry about it. Sadly, I´ve got remnants of puke on my shoes, my pants, and my jacket. Lovely, I know.

I got to Retiro terminal in BsAs, still in an awful state of mind. I caught a cab to the hostel, and started crying. The cab driver asked me what was wrong and I told him the story. He cut me a break on the cab fare.

Well, it´s 4:34pm, about 24 since I was drugged. I still feel like shit, haven´t eaten much all day. But feeling better.

In retrospect, it could have been much, much worse. I do have my passport. I do have my ATM card. I do have my travellers checks. Yes, I´ve cried over the incident. It sucks. But hey, $400 can be replaced. I´m fine now.

I ended up treating myself today to a shopping day. Heck, I deserve it. I bought a big duffel bag, stuffed it full with goodies. And I´m having a leather jacket and pants made custom fit, which I´ll pick up at 7pm.

Well, one thing for sure…I´m ready to go home….

Lesson of the day: Never take candy from strangers



Tags: ,

13 Responses to “robbed once, robbed twice…”

  1. oso Says:

    That really sucks. I know how it feels to get screwed like that in a foreign place. In a way though, it’s better that it happened at the end of the trip. Get home safe.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Prisa Says:

    Wow Marisa I’m glad you’re okay! That’s a really scary thing to happen to anybody. I know I would have been crying buckets. Thank god you had someone there helping you out…that was really sweet.
    It almost sounds like you where given something along the lines of a ketatine or a roofie…the date rape drug. Hope you are feeling better! And at least it didn’t happen till the end of your trip. 🙂 Stay safe and remember, one day this will be a story with bragging rights written all over it…someday…when the ‘scary’ wears off.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Marisa Says:

    I´m better now, thanks. Still shocking though.

    Trying to look at the bright side..it could have been worse. And it goes to show…that when you´re in need, the true spirit of good people comes out.

  6. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  7. dopplegangerr Says:

    holy shit marisa
    came on to read about all the fun youve been having. what a shock. i feel so bad. my god thats brutal. it does sound like the date rape drug, had friends in the restrant bissness that had some bad nights.. god im glad it wasent used on you for that reson.
    get better soon
    all the love in the world
    mikkel

  8. Posted from Panama Panama
  9. Freesia Says:

    Holy crap Marisa! I am so sorry… that whole experience just sucks. Wishing you safe travels home.

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Amstel Says:

    Marisa, glad your ok. Have a safe return. *Hats off to your angel*

  12. Posted from United States United States
  13. Lucky Luke Says:

    Oh my god! You poor, poor thing!!

    I can’t even imagine whati would do in that situation, I’m amazed that you can be so calm about it, i think i’d totally loose the plot. I really hope this hasn’t ruined argentina for you.. theres nothing worse than having a really good holiday and then one *incredibly* bad thing happens and that is all you can remember about it.
    I’m just glad you came out if it as unscathed as you did.

    Big cyber hugs.. hope the retail therapy helped a bit!!

  14. Posted from Thailand Thailand
  15. Sean Says:

    Marisa,

    Glad to hear you are making it through this experience. Of course, I don’t wish it on anyone, but as you said, it could be worse. When we meet up in Kili, looking forward to creating good stories and memories!

  16. Posted from United States United States
  17. Chris Says:

    Marisa, very glad to hear that when it’s all said and done you’re ok and hopefully starting to feel better now. I know this experience won’t put you off travelling and may all your future adventures be at the other end of the spectrum. There are bad folks in every place but as shown by the rest of the people on the bus, they are greatly outnumbered by the good.

  18. Posted from United States United States
  19. Monkey Says:

    Horrible, horrible, horrrible. Although, it has made you stronger, and wiser. Something you may be thankful of one day, and so can be glad of today.

    Keep safe.

  20. admin Says:

    Thanks guys. Back home now, try to look at things with a positive light. I got past the incident upon reflecting on the good people who helped me out. They were extremely selfless, willing to give me money if I needed it.

    No, this event didn’t ruin my trip. I had some of the most amazing experiences in my life thus far on this trip, moments that will be unforgettable. I met many, many good people, and well, 2 bad apples.

  21. Posted from United States United States
  22. Natalie Says:

    Hey Marissa, So sorry to hear about what happened. Glad you are home and safe now. N.

  23. Posted from United States United States
  24. me Says:

    omg!

Leave a Reply