BootsnAll Travel Network



Tminus 2 weeks

I can’t believe how quickly time has flown by. I only have two more weeks before i head to Quito on my adventure there.

I think i finally have finalized my housing situation. Prior to going i had thought that living expenses would be cheap and yes they are but with increasing problems (from what the locals there have told me) with crime i was strongly urged to secure housing that was in a hotel rather than a hostel and to avoid the old city for living.

The organization i am working for E-ducate was founded by a KSG alumni who is from Ecuador. She returned to ecuador after getting her degree from KSG to start this social venture. Her main mission was to somehow contribute to providing equal access of all citizens to opportunities, particularly to education, and technology.

I was initially drawn to this organization because i truly believe that in any society that is trying to move towards a more egalitarian form there needs to be an empowerment of the various classes. In my opinion, knowledge and thus education is power! So when i found out that Nathalie was focused on education and training programs i was instantly drawn.

Most of my work and life experiences have been surrounding the middle east. And being Iraqi i know that i do want to somehow be able to contribute back to helping my country move towards a path of development success. But one of the things i ardently believe in is that the best way to contribute back is to learn from the successes of others around the world. It will be quite inspiring to look at what has worked and not worked in Quito in transforming their educational system and what can be learned and applied to Iraq. By being integrated in their culture and experiences for the duration of my internships i know i will learn a great deal that will only enrich my future contributions.

i am glad that i had the chance to do this internship during the second half of my summer since it will be interesting to compare my reflections during and after i am done with what i am experiencing now.

till next time….



Tags:

One response to “Tminus 2 weeks”

  1. Hussain says:

    Every experience you gain will help towards obtaining your goal of one day contributing personally to the situation in Iraq.

    So proud of you !!! Looking forwards to your Ecuador blog.

    Koobs

  2. Nancy Klav says:

    I know that whatever you learn in Quito will be applicable to many of your future life experiences. I look forward to reading about your time in Quito. Nancy

  3. Patrick says:

    Jo Jo: Fun stuff in Quito . . . are you learing to speak Quichua? Come back and say hi to Gabriela!

  4. Sarah-Catherine says:

    ,

    It will be exciting to hear about your experiences in Quito. From Sudan (that may as well be the Middle East), the one common theme that women of all classes call for is a education. This lack of equal education from Afghanistan to Quito to Khartoum seems to be the key for gaining women’s rights. I hate to condense complex issues to one problem (is it causation or correlation?), but it is certainly an issue that must be addressed. Are there literacy programs for women in Quito?

    SC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *