BootsnAll Travel Network



Quito Plans

Simultaneously while i am interning at the UN i am also eagerly planning my trip to Quito to work for www.e-ducate.org.

I have been emailing with the director and her team to coordinate my living arrangements and travel there. Along with all the excitment comes a bit of angst over what is to come. I have been hearing more and more about the safety issues in Ecuador. Although known for its beauty and warm people there are also stories of robbery and criminal behavior.

I am usually very calm if i were to go to unsafe destinations – ie Iraq- but the big difference here is that i don’t speak spanish and i don’t really know anyone in Ecuador. The spanish bit is getting better – i forcibly make my roomate Paulina and her sister Adriana speak to each other and me sometimes in spanish so i can pick up words and hopefully one day figure out what they are saying – they’ll be in trouble if it is all about me:)

The safety bit was never a concern until a few weeks back when my friend stated drilling me on the situation there. Consensus was that it really was not that bad and that the crime there is petty crime. If one is to excersise common sense and not try to be too flashy then everything should be fine. Quito really is like any other city that has good and bad areas – i actually think DC ranks higher in crime rates than Quito. Simply knowing the ins and outs of where to go and when should hopefully do the trick!

My fears have been quelled – it also helped a great deal to get emails from my ‘boss’ to say she will be picking me up at the airport and others in the office will show us around. As i think all the NGK fellows have experienced – the most intimidating part of living somewhere new is the part leading up to it and once you are there it should all and usually does come together.

I am expecting a call from my mother in about 5 minutes of her reading this…

 till next time…..



Tags:

-1 responses to “Quito Plans”

  1. Michael J. Baumgartner says:

    Hopefully Ecuador’s relative success in the World Cup will have mellowed everybody out, but if, not can’t you lay some Kung Fu Joanne on any criminals with your green belt in Karate?

    Keep up the great work Jojo, can’t wait to hear the stories once you get there.

  2. Nancy Klavans says:

    Hope your planning for your trip to Quito is going well. I look forward to hearing about your experiences. Nancy

  3. Ali - Dad says:

    Dear Joojoo
    I am very proud of what you are doing and I am confident that you wil do a great job in Ecaudor.

    love
    Dad

  4. Hussain says:

    Hey Jooj –

    Well li’l sis…. your off on your next adventure. I’m sure you will have the expreience of a lifetime, just as I did when I went off to Guyana and Ghana. Its all about the people you meet and their views of the situation around them.

    I’m looking forward to seeing you before you trek off, so we’ll be in NYC to see you next week!!!…

    love ya..
    Huss

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *