BootsnAll Travel Network



In Quito this week

I am on my final leg of preparations before heading out to Quito. At this point all i have left to do is pack and get on the plane. I am finiding myself going through what my friend Serah went through when she was heading out to Afghanistan. THe petty thoughts – how much spanish do i need to know? Can i take taxis or buses or walk everywhere? What about phones?

I have travelled a ton and each time these thoughts fill my mind in an effort to try and plan everything but each time i realize quickly how these things all sort themsevles out once i arrive. I am tremendously excited about being able to integrate into the culture rather than go on ‘vacation’ for a week or two. Having been in New York for 6 weeks has allowed me to integrate in the culture here – both at work at the UN and as part of Manhattan. Spending 6 weeks at the UN allowed me to get to know people, get involved and be in the midst of the worlds events. Being at security council meetings this last week while the lebanese crisis was erupting and listnening to my colleagues mull over what to do next was what an internship should be about. I didn’t necessarily have a job during the crisis but i always felt involved as my department – political affairs- was leading the mediation efforts globally. Being able to listen, observe and even contribute my middle east experience was the point of the internship. It is those 6 weeks that help you integrate.

I look forward to doing the same in Quito. Working with the organization i am working with will give me a much more grassroots and hands on experience of what it is like to truly integrate into the local culutre. I hope to write by end of week if i can get online. If not i will write it and send it later when i am online

till then….



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *