BootsnAll Travel Network



People, Places and Politics in Quito

Day 3 in Quito has been great. I already find my spanish getting better. The family we live with is wonderful. The mom does not speak english but somehow i manage to understand about 75% of what she is saying. We manage to discuss politics and learn all about Ecuador.

While walking around yesterday i couldn´t help but notice how warm the people are. They are very helpful in giving directions. Generally it seems that most people are among the middle class level. It will be interesting to see if that perception changes once i start working. I did manage to stop in to the office where iwill work on Friday afternoon. I met the Vice President who gave me a tour of the office. It seems that their work is quite strong in Quito and i look forward to contributing during my time here.

While discussing politics i was intrigued by the fact that Ecuador has had 6 presidents over the last 10 years. As Cris, the lady who i organized our home stay with, told us the people of Ecuador and in particular Quito are organized and so whenever they feel a president is not living up to what they feel they should be doing the organize for change.

Hopefully by Monday i will be able to write more about my work experience and understand this wonderous country more

Till next time…



Tags:

0 responses to “People, Places and Politics in Quito”

  1. Michael Baumgartner says:

    JoJo,

    what is the elevation of Quito?

    It’s cool that you are learning Spanish, did you ever study it before?

    Have you had any chance to break out your ‘salsa’ jeans yet?, lol

    be safe, michael

  2. admin says:

    The elevation is 2850m so it is quite high. I think that is around 9,000 ft. Spanish is coming along…never studied it before at all so i am happy that i can understand it somewhat. Salsa classes are on the way. I will be a full ecuadorian when i leave for sure

  3. Ban says:

    I notice you posted that last note from the UK?!! Are you really in Quito or are you writing this from our garden shed…?

    Pls send your photos too. I have to confess i know nothing about Quito or Ecuador so my education begins here. I’ll be reading

    Keep blogging, you and Bahar look after each other

    Xx B

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *