BootsnAll Travel Network



People are strange, when you’re in Vegas

The highlights from Vegas will be a little brief to protect the privacy of my girlfriends, though there are a couple of only in Vegas moments I can share: 

My schedule first morning:
Wake up 6am, get on flight.  Land in Vegas by 10am.   At Hotel by 10:15am, at pool by 10:45, beer beer beer, leave pool at 4, take nap.  Dinner, Drinks, Club. 

Exhausted.  The club we went to Tao, is beautiful, but probably the most over packed place I’ve ever been in, full of people that were so drunk they would have never made it into a NYC club.  Sloppy.  On top of my being exhausted from lack of sleep, beers in the sun, and huge dinner, I left early at about 2:30am. 

Anyone who has ever been in a Vegas hotel can relate to this: there are floors and floors and very long creepy Shining-style hallways abound.   When I get to my floor, I start heading down the spoke that has my room on it 23219 or something, I notice way down there a big guy just standing outside in the hallway.  Just standing.   Of course, nobody else is around, and that guy looks to be standing in the general vicinity of where my room is.   As I creep closer, the guy isn’t moving..just standing there.  He had this very detached, drugged, drunk or something blankness on his face.  

Sure enough he is standing right outside my door, or technically the door directly beside mine, only 2 feet from my door.   Well, hmmm.  He is a big guy, but looks to be lost, so I ask him, “hi there, are you having trouble with your door” 

“I can’t get in”  he barely moves.  
“Are you sure its your room, they all kind of look the same and its hard to remember 5 numbers?”
“Yes its my room”, he ever so slowly pulls out his card, and demonstrates that the card isn’t working.


 He continues to just stand there.    Great.
I say, “well, you probably demagnetized it, you’ll have to go back downstairs to the front desk and get a new one”.     He just stared at me, and kept standing there, card held slackly in his hand. 
Okay, moment of truth.   He wasn’t moving.  And I wanted to get in my room.  He was drunker than me, so I decided I could make it.   I quickly inserted my key, jumped in, and leaned against the door so that it would closer quicker (it had one of those ‘no slam’ door slower-downers on it.  Crap crap crap!  Close, damn it. Whew.  Safe.  Double lock.   From the long hall I could hear the people in the next room calling to him to tell him to GO AWAY!  I looked out of my little peephole 2 minutes later, after I had got my smokey Vegas clothing off, and he was still there! So, I called security, and told them some drunk creepy man was standing outside my room and wouldn’t go away. 5 minutes later: Female Voice:
“Sir, this is not your room”
(nothing)
“Sir, what is you name, so we can help you find your room?”
“Sir this is not your room, can I see your key card please” 
Male voice:
“Sir, you are right, you probably have the right room, but you are in the WRONG hotel.  This is the Mandalay Bay!.” 
For Christ sakes, the stupid drunk people here.   This guy had reduced himself to a blithering imbecile incapable of removing himself from the doorway without help.  Heaven knows if he actually made it to the Caesars Palace where his room really was.After a good, short nights sleep, I’m heading to meet Jen for breakfast, and this is the conversation in the elevator, ongoing when it stops on my floor. 

“I’ve tried her every 10 minutes for the past 2 hours.  She’s not answering.”
“Last night she was getting sick just thinking about it”  They were dressed in their wedding finery.

The guy accompanying this women says “Well, we’re going to just have to break the door down if we have to” 

“She’s not going through with it”
“Over my dead body” 

They got out before I could hear any more.  Only in Vegas, can you wake and get your soap operas in the elevator.

Tags: , , ,



Leave a Reply