BootsnAll Travel Network



Girl Gone Mild

Eh, long time no? It has been, since I’ve been traveling anywhere but between Tampa, NYC, Charleston and my parents houses. But no longer, boy do I have some travel planned!

And speaking of long times…. the sudden once a decade frost bite that has bitten the deep south this January has run me out. I couldn’t take it anymore, and last Wednesday I did some internet desperation searching and came up with a next to nothing trip to Cancun. Mexico. Land of wet t-shirts, margarita’s and college aged stupidity.The last time I was in Cancun it was 1995. Yes, I was 21 year old, as well I should have been. I am definitely aiming for Girls Gone Mild this go around though. (sorry – my alcohol limit has really taken a disastrous turn south since 30)

Cancun is different since my visit last century.First, the ‘other side of the road’ is now one continuous shopping mall. There’s a Chili’s, and Outback Steakhouse, and a Walmart on the way to my hotel. But thats to be sort of expected, us American’s seemingly can’t live without some version of a mall around us. The real change is the beach. Where once lay the prettiest stretch of baby white and powder-fine sand anywhere has been hurricaned away. Some of the hotel fronts sit on craggy bits of limestone rocks. It has its own beauty, don’t get me wrong, and the water color is still out of this world, but it is a far cry in comparison to pre-hurricane Wilma. Some sand has been shipped in, sort of white, sort of fine (reminds me of St. Pete, FL) but it’s a far cry. That said, if you hadn’t been here 2004 or before, you’d still think its an amazing stretch of Ocean. Vegas style.

Oh, and of course, one more thing… I got a 4 star hotel room for less than 100 bucks 36 hours before I got here. And, now that I’m here I see the reason. There is (relatively) nobody here! No heads in the beds! Its shocking. Economic Crisis 1, Cancun, 0, USA 0, World 0. That said, aside from the obnoxiously in love couple I can hear through the connecting doors to my room, having the place to myself isn’t all that bad! I have a perfect balcony overlooking a surprisingly rough turquoise and velvet Carribean Sea. The breeze as I sit here and steal internet is blowing my little sheer curtains into the room like some sort of commercial. Cecilia (Paul Simon) is drifting on the breeze from the pool area, which I left an hour ago after causing myself enough skin damage and margarita damage for one afternoon.

Nap time… and then go out to see the superbowl… hopefully channeling some Party like its 1999 in the Mexican Rivera. Okay Party like I was the age I was when it was 1999.

Tags: , , ,



2 Responses to “Girl Gone Mild”

  1. Brian Says:

    I just discovered that your website was no longer up. I loved the video you had of the still pictures set to music. It gave me goosebumps every time I watched it. Is there anyway you could email it to me or at least let me know if you put it up on another site (YouTube maybe). Glad to see you’re still on the road, I hope to be again soon.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. chicago maids Says:

    I was suggested this website through my cousin.
    I’m not certain whether or not this publish is written by him as no
    one else recognise such certain about my difficulty.
    You’re amazing! Thanks!

Leave a Reply