BootsnAll Travel Network



Complete and Utter….bliss in Jo’burg?

After what seems like an eternity of living in either tents, huts, or sketchy hotels with mystery lumps in the bed, where you definitely didn’t want to run barefoot across the floor, I was ecstatic to get into my room at the Peech Hotel in Johannesburg.

Jo’burg is rife with tales of urban warfare and random crime and its enough to make anyone a lot wary. Because my main goal was to rest, really enjoy a nicely made meal, bed and shower, I had the hotel pick me up at the airport, and whisk me away. My driver (and I later found most drivers), was very chatty and told me all about the history of the different streets we were on as we drove through to the northern suburbs.

The northern suburbs are where the rich live, and boy do they live. In this world of high fences topped with glass or razor wire, a life entirely walled away from everyone and everything. But beyond those walls its beautiful, serene, even peaceful. And definitely high class. All shut away. After a day of this I already felt what it might be like to be a princess in the middle ages. A feeling, which might very well be false, that you are surrounded by all that riches and wealth could bring you, but you weren’t allowed outside the palace walls.

For the moment though, I’ll say it was awesome. Awesome enough that I took pictures of my hotel room. I lounged in my bed, took a 30 minute long shower on super hot, and watched TV. The bed actually had a slight heat to it… not noticeable at first but after awhile it was like super cozy. I’ve never been in anything like it, and it was incredible, as it was definitely in the throws of winter in Joburg.

Oh, and back to the Peech Hotel. I think it was mentioned in the 2008 Chic Hotels book, and it deserves it. It is a boutique hotel, very small, but super well, CHIC. If you are ever in Joburg I don’t think you could beat this place, even at a higher price.

Home

So my first night, sore as heck from the whitewater rafting, and walking like frankensteins monster, I thumped down to the restaurant downstairs and had a wonderful meal, and a glass of red wine by the fire, then igor’d my way back up to my room and settled in my heated bed for a long African winters nap.

Tags: , , , , ,



Leave a Reply