BootsnAll Travel Network



“You think its all made up, don’t you?”

I’ve been treating myself a lot since the whole Fedex fiasco. It’s been working pretty well. We had a small party after work yesterday to say goodbye to Jenn. Then I watched Friends (hee), Family Guy (which always makes me think of Southpark; “Do you have any idea what it’s like? Everywhere I go: Hey Cartman you must like Family Guy, right? Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of Family Guy, Cartman! I am nothing like Family Guy! When I make jokes they are inherent to a story! Deep situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a point, not just one random interchangeable joke after another!” Haha.) Then Herdis and I watched a show on the 10 “most shocking!” videos ever, most of which were just stupid and involved naked women (and isn’t the point of a music video to actually get it shown on air so people will buy the single? I mean, unless you’re madonna.) However, I bet that prodigy’s ‘smack my bitch up’ would be number 1 and Lucas bet it would be Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’. I won, so he has to cook me dinner tonight.

I also watched an episode of six feet under, which might have had an actual title, but I’m going to call it sitcom guest star episode. I kept cracking up as more and more people came on. First up was Silas Weir Mitchell (My name is Earl), then Rainn Wilson (The Office) and finally Josh Radnor (How I met your Mother). It was really amusing (at least, I found it so). And thank god Brenda’s back. I mean – I like Lilli Taylor as an actress – but her character is insane.

I actually woke up at 9 this morning, so I cleaned my room, did laundry, and spoke to my mom and brother who were in Maine on their way to Arcadia (that is, until they lost the signal). Went to the Java cafe for lunch. Got yummy breads and dips for lunch, plus one of their fabulous iced mochas. I’m so in love with those. Now I’m going to watch obama on the Daily show and the richard branson interview on the colbert report. It’s very sunny out. Still reading Thunderstruck – I’m finding the sections on Marconi to drag a bit. The seagulls are out in full force today, for some reason. The seagulls here are pretty – they have really dark grey backs.

In other really random news, I just found out that Neil Gaiman wrote the English screenplay for Princess Mononoke (did I post that already?), sluggy – the first webcomic I ever got into – is about to turn 10, and everyday the Chch newspaper has an icon of Homer in a mumu disco dancing, which makes me really inexplicably happy.

Going to go see Bourne at some point. Canterbury is playing tomorrow – I might go see that (we won last weekend). And there’s a concert of Gilbert and Sullivan songs on tomorrow, which I might also go to. Or I might lie around and read more. It’s been a tiring week. I need to rest up.
A really good crop of fun stuff (warning; some squealing ahead):

The Poster for Jesse James. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out the actor listing. Sam gets the and!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Hmmmm; the link isn’t working – try this: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=36607)
Awesome headline for the day; Rainn Wilson Wants To Be An Alcoholic Ninja.

OHMYGOD! A NEW TRAILER FOR JESSE JAMES, TOO! This day is just getting better and better. AND IT HAS SAM ACTUALLY IN THIS ONE!!! YAAAAYYYY!!!! Look at the summary, “The film delves into the private life of Jesse James (played by Pitt) as the Ford brothers, Charley (Sam Rockwell) and Bob (Casey Affleck), trusted members of the notorious outlaw’s gang, plot to kill him.” That’s right – look who’s getting credit for a prominent role, now! The cinematography looks gorgeous, too.

A new Hitman Trailer targets the internets. (I’d like to point out that the hitman is agent 47. Further proof that 47 is actually the meaning of life and everything (not 42 as some would mistakenly have you believe). Also – I’ve loved Timothy Olyphant since GO and I’m glad to see him really rising in hollywood. And I like the mixing of Ave Maria at the end of this trailer.

The internal battle of Jessica at GoFug. I’d like to say props to the guy for the eurythmics tee. Better luck with the pants next time.

Fall movies preview: It’s the fall of the gunslinger in theaters. Okay, true. But I warn you – this article is about 12 sentences long – not much of a real preview there, guys. They might have just as well said, “This fall: 3:10 to Yuma, Shoot em up, the Brave one and the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.” Done.

The most incredible photos of Christopher Walken, ever. Ever.

25 best high school movies. (A whole bunch I’ve never seen, but I’ll agree with Fame, Brick, Footloose, Grease (umm – 3 musicals..), Carrie, 16 candles, and Clueless, but Dead Poets should be #1, instead of #11. LOOK AT THE CAMPUS!!! šŸ˜‰ )All the following links come from Cleolinda;

Remains of Czar Nicholas II’s heir may have been found. [ED: I wonder if its the same anthropologist who did the rest of the family. If you ever read “Dead men do tell tales” which I might just own 2 copies of, you can see pictures of Nicholas and Alexandra’s skulls.]

Jamba Juice warns of Hep. A risk. [Ed: ACK! Luckily – its just one san jose store, but still… I love me my Jamba Juice…]

Bill Murray Arrested for Drunk Driving in a Golf Cart. Oh… oh dear.
[Name redacted] in The Dark Knight ? “”It’s a big surprise and I want to reveal it to everybody right now,” says Christian Bale. Wait, what?”
Justice League to be Creepy CGI? (Christian Bale Hasnā€™t Been Approached For ā€˜Justice League.ā€™ RUN ANYWAY, CHRISTIAN!)

Mother Teresa’s Crisis of Faith.

Are ‘Evan’ and ‘Stardust’ the Bombs of the Summer? Noooooo! Stardust was actually good! The majority of people who saw it on my recommendation really enjoyed it! Charlie Cox is really cute and Robert De Niro crossdresses! What more do you people want? *sob*

‘Brokeback’ director’s latest gets NC-17. [Ed: They’re refering to Lust, Caution, which looks good.]

And, I’m back. I’m just going to report this whole thing, because I like it so much; “Vladimir Nabokov was a happy guy. Roger Boylan explains in the Boston Review.

His humor reflected his soul, for he occupies a rare position in the annals of literatureā€”especially modern literatureā€”as that oxymoronic creature, the happy writer. The torments and angst of a Kafka or a Dostoevsky were as alien to him as the politics of the day. He was happy mainly because he loved being Vladimir Nabokov and he knew that his genius demonstrated the near-infinite possibilities of language and life and art. He cared not a whit for the carping of critics and the sour grapes of lesser writers, and, 30 years after his death, his overall influence as a one-man mission civilisatrice is still growing. He remains the master of the art of beauty in exactitude. Unexpected yet precise words are connected in his writing like the fine, unbreakable links of a silver necklace. Lesser writers settle for second best; he never does. He finds the right word, however unexpected. Any sampling of his work shows this; take a random sentence from the beginning of the story ā€œCloud, Castle, Lakeā€:

The locomotive, working rapidly with its elbows, hurried through a pine forest, then–with relief–among fields.”

My guess why? He was also a serious lepidopteran taxonomist. I began my senior thesis (in which I spent hours in entomology collections, particularly lepidopteran ones) with a poem by Nabokov;

I found it and I named it, being versed
in taxonomic Latin; thus became
godfather to an insect and its first
describer -- and I want no other fame.

Wide open on its pin (though fast asleep),
and safe from creeping relatives and rust,
in the secluded stronghold where we keep
type specimens it will transcend its dust.

Dark pictures, thrones, the stones that pilgrims kiss,
poems that take a thousand years to die
but ape the immortality of this
red label on a little butterfly.

Isn’t that pretty?
Ok – I’ve seen the Richard Branson thing now – in what way is it a train wreck? It’s entertaining, to be sure. I also enjoy how Richard Branson uses the royal we at the end.

Awww. Obama! “We try to remind people that nobody had a longer resume than Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld. And that hasn’t worked out so well.”
musica: Jesus of Suburbia – Green Day (God – American idiot is such a brilliant album), Bleed it out – linkin park (soo addicted), Pretender – Foo Fighters, Affliction – AFI



Tags:

One response to ““You think its all made up, don’t you?””

  1. Karen says:

    I love the poem! I also love his work and didn’t know that he was a lepidopterist.

    Switching to my mom/English teacher hat, “spoke to my mom and brother who were in Maine on their way to Arcadia (that is, until they lost the signal).” is a mis-placed modifier. We were still on our way to Acadia (no “r”).

    Which was terrific, btw! I’ll send you pix and e-mails.