BootsnAll Travel Network



Nothing says “romance” like a kidnapped injured woman

Managed to get the room set up for work taken care of yesterday, although it took me all afternoon. Went to the gym and am surpirisingly not too sore today. Still desperately missing being without a music source (it drives me nuts! Have you noticed?)

I forgot to mention this about reading Tales of the City the other day; the problem with reading something written before you were born is when you come across some cultural reference that people in that time period would immediately understand, but you miss completely. I guess at the end of the 2nd book, when DeDe goes to Guyana, everyone who lived then would go, “oooh – Jonestown”. But I totally missed that. How am I suppossed to know where that happened? 

Soundbites from the Office stars. Of course, the really tragic part about my laptop dying? I can’t buy the Office Season 3 on itunes. I’m going to have to wait MONTHS to find out what’s going on. (Oh my god, I love Creed. How incredibly amazing is he?)

I don’t know if any of you remember me writing about this, but I tried to track down a copy of Dreamland recently (it looks like Justin Long’s Lawn Dogs) and I can’t find it in this country. I’m hoping for the US. BUT!!! Mick La Salle posted about it in his latest “Ask Mick”:

Dear Mick: Are you the only critic who wrote about “Dreamland”? I came across it a few months ago and have watched it four times since. – Bradley Haas, San Bruno

Dear Bradley: I’m not the only critic who wrote about it, but I’m one of the few from a major publication to see its virtues. This kind of small release doesn’t get anywhere without critical support, and in this case it looks as if the trades killed it. I thought it was a very special movie, a portrait of young women at a crossroads in life, with exceptional performances and an unusual setting (a trailer park).

Probably most of you have heard about Radiohead. They just announced that their new album comes out in 10 days and fans can pick how much to pay for it. (As QC points out – its kinda like webcomics). I think it’s cool, but it’s basically the music system we have in place already. Hypothetically – I can buy albums from AFI, Garbage, Tori, and the Chili peppers and download singles from bands I don’t care so much about (legally, from itunes, of course). As for the sudden announcement, well I guess thats a way to keep pirating down, but seeing as its going to be released free to some people… I don’t really get it.

Still, I bet if more bands did this, they might actual increase their revenues. I’m sure that some people out there who would otherwise download the album illegally, will actually pony up a nominal amount of cash (like $5) to get it.

Writer working on the Queen sequel. Me, I am personally excited to see Michael Sheen in Frost/Nixon. Not because of any supporting players or anything, you know… 😉

One sheet for the Other Boleyn Girl.

Freeman and Banderas in the Code.

Why do (optherwise somewhat) normal people enjoy horror flicks? Lead actors stripping. Duh. (“There are certain RULES that one must abide by in order to successfully survive a horror movie. For instance, number one: you can never have sex. BIG NO NO! BIG NO NO! Sex equals death, okay?”)

31 days of horror over at moviefone.

What? Nooooo! HBO scraps the Deadwood movies. I love how Ian McShane talks like a total hollywood player in this interview, too. “It was an extraordinary time. But everything has to come to an end, babe.” That’s awesome.

The Ultimate Male Hotties (EW’s phrase, not mine) of 1990-2007. First up; Christian Bale. Also includes Gael Garcia Bernal, Johnny Depp (picking Chocolat as his best moment), Josh Holloway, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman, Ewan McGregor, and Clive Owen.  Who’d they miss? Orlando Bloom, Pierce Brosnan, Anthony Keidis, Gavin Rossdale, Joseph Fiennes, Ashton Kutcher, Taye Diggs. Hmmm…. Eric Bana? Robert Downey Jr. Timothy Olyphant. Leonardo DiCaprio. Gerard Butler, maybe? David Beckham. Antonio Banderas. Oh! Hrithik Roshan. These aren’t all guys I like, btw, but I’m thinking up ideas here. Rodrigo Santoro. I’ll throw in Stephen Colbert and Christopher Meloni for Neva Chonin. I’m trying to think up guys I like from tv, but most of those are cute rather than hot (John Krasinski, Josh Radnor, and Eric Szmanda come to mind. Hmm – apparently People disagrees with me about John.). TV-wise… Milo Ventimiglia and possibly Eric Mabius, if the Ugly Betty make-up artists didn’t insist on smothering him in pink make-up. I’ll vote for Justin Long, just to have an excuse to post this pic again. Oh, and Davey Havok, obviously.

On a related note, the 101 hottest tattoed men for 2007. Because I enjoy freaking my mother out.

Huh – looking up guys made me realize that Jamie Dornan (Marie Antoinette) and Rupert Friend (Pride and Prejudice) are, in fact, different people. Silly old-fashioned hats and penchant for dating Kiera Knightly.

Ross has a new column up here.

I love this photo.

NYTimes review for the Darjeeling Limited. In other movie news, Stardust is up to 60/70 Million. So – ok probably once you count in future DVD rentals and sales, but it sooo should have done better. It’s a totally wonderful film – I am very serious when I say you should go see it if you still have the opportunity. If you don’t – buy it on DVD when it comes out!

News roundup. Important for the Catherine Keener news, which includes the fact that Charlie Kaufman has a directorial debut in the works and HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD ABOUT THIS??

Whips and chains and leather, oh my! The Folsom street fair is on in SF. I love being from such a tolerant city. Here’s what Violet Blue has to say about it.

Good review for There will be Blood starring Daniel Day Lewis.

New Wall-E teaser up.

Environmental news: Why I told my Columbia program director I didn’t want to work for the government; “Shocking, shocking news can be discerned from U.S. EPA and Justice Department data: the EPA is totally slacking on cracking down on polluters” – Grist  US Food Aid dropping, DDT – breast cancer link (so what – is there a lot of DDT in the bay area?), pesticide approval delayed, Critical mass turns 15 (yay SF!)

Linkspam from Cleolinda: “It’s Banned Books Week. You can read some banned books at ManyBooks.net. Also: Most Challenged Books of 21st Century (2000–2005).

Hey, look, it’s my childhood!

A detailed list of changes to The Dark Is Rising The Seeker. Very first sentence: “Arthurian legend does not play a part.” Uh. I genuinely want to slap someone on Susan Cooper’s behalf, and I haven’t even read the series yet.

Akerman’s Watchmen Update.

In sex life of jumping spiders, size matters; 6 die from brain-eating amoeba in lakes; Why Women Worry So Much. I like to think that these three stories are related.”

I’m (back to me, Jessica) going through the back issues of Maureen Dowd. I like this one on Rudy vs. Hillary. And this one on Obama.



Tags:

-20 responses to “Nothing says “romance” like a kidnapped injured woman”

  1. Ross says:

    Anubis is taking over London! Why is that like your childhood? And thanks for the linkspam to pokingbadgers.

  2. Karen says:

    You’re right…I AM freaked out! You forgot to mention Toby Stephens in the list of the ultimate male hotties! Anyone who’s seen “The Queen’s Sister” will agree with me….

    Are you sure that wasn’t Ross’s childhood?
    😉

    As I recall, one of you has a scar from a bite that the other one inflicted. Being a Bad Mother, I can’t recall who did what to whom….

  3. admin says:

    ME!!! It was me!! I have an inch long scar on my right hand from Ross biting me!

    Of course, it is no longer my most noticible scar what with the one I have on my arm now, but c’est la vie.

    Not like my childhood – like Cleolindas. Its under her linkspam.

    De nada for the linkspam. I liked the hot sauce one.

    And no on Toby Stephens.