BootsnAll Travel Network



In memoriam

Crapity crap. Well, I got a call from the laptop people. A new system board? $800. Plus the $200 repair fee, and we’re looking at a new mac. Sooo…. I’m having them back up my hard drive to an external hard disk, so I should be able to run it off a computer here at work long enough to make a secondary back up to the ipod (yeah – I’ve decided to get it. If I can’t have a laptop for the forseeable future, I at least need a copy of my stuff and a music source). I guess the bright side is that now I don’t have to stress so much about backpacking around with my laptop. And when I get home, I know apple does payment plans for macbooks, so I can get a new spiffy one then. And what with work, I only need to pay to check my email on weekends.

Is that enough silver lining? *sigh*. RIP you stupid piece of crap that ended up being waaay too much trouble. Hmmm – not really properly respectful. Goodbye laptop, you who played my music, did my thesis, and let me watch lots of netflix. You will be sort of missed.

musica; what else? Miseria cantare – AFI (btw – on a totally unrelated note, did you know that “Sing the Sorrow” was ranked number 77 on the Guitar World ‘List of the 100 Greatest Guitar Albums of All Time’. Tis true. And (though I already knew this, perhaps you did not) it was produced by Butch Vig, clearly the most awesome producer EVER).

(Release a B-Sides compilation already, Garbage!! I can’t find Betcha anywhere!!)



Tags:

2 responses to “In memoriam”

  1. Karen says:

    Sorry to hear it’s RIP. It served you pretty well for a long time, though. I seem to recall you adored it at first.

    I think keeping the iPod and backing up a hard drive is the way to go. (for what it’s worth)

    Don’t let your $$ troubles keep you from seeing NZ, though. Remember, although things seems lousy now, you’ve had many wonderful experiences on your travels.

    Surely it’s been worth it in the long run….

    Take care, sweetie. Lots of love…

  2. admin says:

    I was thrilled with it (and thank you again for it!). Once I managed to get ArcView on there, it was brilliant. It ran fast, held however many songs I have (over 25 gig now I think), ran DVDs, and made slideshows of my photos. Everything I wanted.

    I’m just currently annoyed with Dell for making something that has planned obsolencence so quickly. Particularly considering my 1st laptop lasted about 5 years.

    I’ve called the electronics store and asked them to hold the ipod till Wednesday (payday) and told the laptop people to back up the hard drive, so that’s the plan.

    Like I said, I’ll probably be ok to see NZ – it just depends on holiday pay, and tax back. I’ll see how it goes.

    Of course traveling has been worth it!! There was never any question of that. It just sucks that when I’ll already be coming home broke, now I’ll need to add getting a new computer to my list of worries. But it certainly doesn’t in any way negate how glad I am to be out seeing things.

    Love you too!