BootsnAll Travel Network



more entertainment

The reviews are out, this time for Catch and release (God, January is a slow month). When I originally saw this trailer, I though – huh, a chick flick I might actually watch (albeit on DVD) and this is mainly due to the presence on Timothy Olyphant (RIP Deadwood – did HBO ever get around to the 2 concluding mini-movies?) and Kevin Smith.

On another note – my posts must be so hard to follow – my brain jumps around WAY too much. Sorry ’bout that.

Here’s what popwatch has to say (notice 0 mentions of how Timothy is in the flick): “even reviewers who liked the movie couldn’t help but puncture their praise with sharp mentions of the film’s shortcomings. For instance, The Onion A.V. Club‘s Scott Tobias’ kind words for the “enormously appealing cast” come sandwiched between two mentions of the movie’s “unfortunate sitcom characterization.” The New York Times‘ Stephen Holden finds Catch refreshing  for its lack of “whiny princess-mongering” but still finds the film struggling for basic credibility.” And the Christian Science Monitor‘s M.K. Terrell writes, “Viewers may find its mix of pathos and humor loose and lumpy, but then isn’t that how life is?” Why, yes, that is how life is. Also, day-old Cream of Wheat. (also Ross’ mashed potatoes).

For many critics, Garner is upstaged by comic-relief player Kevin Smith; in fact, they seem surprised that Silent Bob can deliver a convincing speaking performance in a film he didn’t write. “Jennifer Garner may possess the hardest working eyebrows in show business, but Kevin Smith gets the acting kudos,” writes the Chicago Reader‘s Andrea Gronvall.

Aren’t these mean reviewers being too harsh on what’s just a basic date movie? Maybe, but the critics suggest Catch falls short of even the confining genre requirements of a chick flick. “I just don’t know any chick who will make sense of this flick — it’s that blitheringly out of touch with present psychosexual (never mind feminist) time and space,” writes EW‘s own Lisa Schwarzbaum. “It’s just another romantic comedy, neither terribly bad nor truly great, buoyed along on currents of hope and post-traumatic good cheer,” writes the Austin Chronicle‘s Marc Savlov.

Special mention goes to the New York Post‘s Kyle Smith, who really, really, really doesn’t like the movie and comes up with many colorful ways to say so. “The chick comedy-drama Catch and Release may look bland, but it’s not. It’s worse. To rise to the level of blandness, it would need to have a few gallons of Tabasco dumped into it.” And that’s just the beginning. Read the whole thing for an exercise in hilarious hostility.”

U and UR hand – Pink (I’m addicted)



Tags:

Comments are closed.