BootsnAll Travel Network



Ha!

Some good Hugh Laurie quotes from the SAGs (mom), which I missed:

[In British accent] I’ve been acting for 25 years, and … [ends accent] No, I’m sorry. It’s just when the British people come up and get the awards, it’s so smooth with their stuff. And I feel goofy up here ’cause I don’t be winning stuff.” – Eddie Murphy

“I’m British. Which accounts for why I’m so smooth.” – Hugh Laurie, in response

“American television drama is absolutely at its zenith. It’s a phenomenal honor and a great chance. I know it will pass very quickly … might even have passed while I’ve been standing here … My therapist made me promise that I wouldn’t thank anybody … something to do with ownership, I didn’t really understand it.” – Hugh Laurie

And I love this:

With Lost returning from its hiatus tonight to begin the first of 13 consecutive new episodes, there’s much to look forward to. (Except for those of you who only watch the show on DVD, in which case you have at least a few more months.)

It seems someone’s turned this fanaticism into a bonafide college course. At Tufts University, you can enroll in a 13-week pass/fail seminar, entitled: The Future is Lost: Economic, Social, and Technological Impact of a Cult (and Cultural) Phenomenon. Students have to write a weekly reaction paper to each episode, listen to the official Lost podcast, read transcripts of the producers’ appearances on talk shows and other articles written about the series, and even discuss the show’s marketing.

A full syllabus of the course can be found here (don’t worry, it doesn’t give away any spoilers). Some highlights:
———————————————
Week 2: Influences
Lost
launches off and alludes to many other shows and films: Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, The X-Files, The Prisoner, and Planet of the Apes to name a few. What shows made the existence of Lost possible? Is this show science fiction, and what does that mean for marketing? What was the target demographic initially, and what is it now? Could Lost exist if ABC wasn’t in the gutter 3 years ago? Why did Who Wants to be a Millionaire have such an impact on Lost? Could Lost exist 10 years ago, without the technology we have available today? Could Lost exist in a pre-9/11 world? Was Lost a gamble for ABC and its creators, or a sure thing? This week we’ll visit the foundation that the show has been built upon.
Readings: “Behind the secrets of Lost,” Nightline interview transcript with Lost‘s creators.
“Magical Mystery Tour” The New Yorker 5/23/05.
“If we’re not being rescued, let’s all start new lives” New York Times 9/19/04.
TV Drama in Transition, Nelson (“Framing the real”).
Screenings of Twin Peaks and The Prisoner in the library.



Tags:

-1 responses to “Ha!”

  1. Karen says:

    Good God! And you know I love you…but not enough to watch “Lost” for you….

    If you were here, I know you’d be taking the class (Tufts is in Boston, you know).