BootsnAll Travel Network



Emmys!!!

OK – I’ll add some of the best moment’s from Popwatch’s live blogging of the emmys when I’m home and not doing work. BUT – the overall impression? Emmy voters suck. Thank god tv stars get a second chance with voters who have taste at the golden globes. Why do I say this? At the golden globes you get Steve Carrell and Hugh Laurie giving delightfully witty speeches. At the Emmys, you get James Spader and Ricky Gervais. Ok – Ricky Gervais is sometimes funny, and I guess its nice to have an unexpected upset by someone ok, but James Spader?!? JAMES SPADER? Really, emmys?

At least I was spared sitting through the ceremony, which sounds like it was bizarrely terrible (not unexpected, given the host). I’m sure everyone after that is looking forward to the golden globes and Oscars (yay Jon Stewart!!!)

I’m ok with 30 rock winning best comedy, because the one ep. I’ve seen of it was funny (“he took advantage of my white guilt, which is to be used only for good, like overtipping and supporting Barack Obama”), and it really needs a ratings boost to stay alive, unlike the Office which is going strong.

Other awfulness; Jeremy Piven over Rainn Wilson, Jaime Pressly over Jenna Fisher (yes, Jaime is very funny, but not nearly as brilliant and subtle as Jenna), Katherine HeiglĀ (I could’ve seen her win this for season 2, but from all the reviews I’ve read about season 3, her character was supposed to be terrible. I mean – I like the actress, but given that the voters are voting on the shows and not personalities…), America Ferrera overĀ Tina Fey or Mary Louise Parker, Sally Field over, well, any of the other options,. And yeah – The Sopranos winning best drama was hardly a surprise, even if the last series wasn’t as highly rated as previous ones… it could’ve always ended up being an everybody loves raymond type fiasco.

The one good win for the night? The Daily Show. Keep on rocking, Jon et al….



Tags:

3 responses to “Emmys!!!”

  1. Karen says:

    I switched it off after the first hour, it was so bad. I can’t bear to watch good actors and shows being snubbed while crap wins. Ryan Seacrest (is that his name?) actually had a pretty good opening monologue, and worked hard. He wasn’t bad. Ellen Degeneris did the most STUPID thing in her segment…she asked Hugh Laurie for medical advice. He looked so put upon. It must be awful to be brilliant and English and to have to put up with these awful Americans….

    Stephen Colbert’s pre-emmy show was hilarious. I will look forward to seeing how he carries on when he didn’t win (again).

  2. admin says:

    Really? Everything I heard about Ryan Seacrest was that he was terrible. Considering its been hosted in years gone by by actual comedians, I can’t imagine why Fox went with him. Especially when they had the option of giving it to Hugh Laurie. (I liked one reviewer’s comment, “we should create a category to ensure Hugh gets to give a speech every year – everyone knows he has the best speeches in the biz. How about Most Hugh Laurie-ish?”

    What was Stephen’s pre-emmy show? The last one I saw was the one about mother Theresa. I can’t wait to see his next one (maybe he’ll get Tony Bennett this time?)

  3. Karen says:

    He compared himself with Tony Bennett, to show who was the more worthy to win an award. Tony Bennett: rose from poor background; served in the U.S. Army in WWII; helped liberate a Concentration Camp; is a beloved icon of American music….

    Stephen Colbert: has been on the air for two years!

    It’s clear that Stephen should have won….

  4. admin says:

    Ha – we must’ve just missed each other – I just posted about the show. Clearly he should have won!!