BootsnAll Travel Network



All Blacks

I don’t think I can describe what it’s going to be like being here for the rugby world cup. They have a countdown on the front page of the paper (8 days). Yesterdays lead story was “Bring it home, All blacks”. Every 3rd commercial on TV is about it (my housemates and I have counted about 8 different rugby world cup commercials so far).

I was telling Tash yesterday that we never really get this kind of national pride for a team. Maybe back when I was a little girl and the dream team went to the olympics – but I don’t really remember that.

Anyways, it should be interesting (and fun! Go All Blacks! (Sorry Brian O’Driscoll))



Tags:

2 responses to “All Blacks”

  1. Karen says:

    I think we get this kind of team pride regionally…and the Boston Red Sox seem to have a national following, as well. I expect other teams do, too.

    One difference is the relative sizes of the countries; the other is our lack of national teams or national team sports. We don’t play sports against other countries except every four years, in the Olympics, and most of those sports are individual…

    Good luck to the All Blacks! Maybe they’ll carry the games here on one of the ka-jillion sports networks on TV…

  2. admin says:

    I expect so. Dad and I were able to watch most of the world cup last summer, and lord knows soccer isn’t a big sport in the US.

    I think the closest Americans come to a national consensus on sports is hating the yankees…