BootsnAll Travel Network



Wreck/deep diving and Narcosis

Well today me and Jared did our last two deep dives down to 40 meters, on a wreck called the unicorn, for our deep dive speciality course.   I had an absolutely marvolous time as I was “Narked” (Nitrogen Narcosis) for a good portion of the dive.  The first dive, I was actually laughing out loud.  So loud even that the other people I was diving with could hear me.  So for about 5 mins I was in pure utopia.  It was amazing.   Jared was not so lucky and he did not feel a thing.  It was a great dive, the wreck was massive and the visibilty was pretty good.  Loads of Jacks and Baracuda!!

 The second dive was just the same for me.   I was as happy as a clam.   Jared’s went the other way and he was very paranoid, I will let him tell you his story. The wierd things that go through your brain when you are “Narked” is just astonishing.  I was thinking to myself on the dive, why is Jared diving up there it is so much fun down here!  Well he was only a foot above me and the visiablity was really not all that good on the second dive so exactly what was more fun than where I was.. Oh that is right cuz I was “Narked”!   

So needless to say I had a wonderful time at the wreck the question is though did I even see it.. Or was it all just in my head!!!! Hmmm I may have to think about that for a bit.

 Alright Jared here, my second dive was rough.  Well for one the Air tasted really different.  The boat that we went out on, the MV Trident, has a compressor on board that filled our second tank.  It was actually pretty sweet tasting, if air can tasted sweet!  Well when I got down to 40m it of course seemed like I had bad air, so I was worried about that.  At one point I lost track of one of the people in our group and I thought he was lost.  I looked at both instructors and was shocked that they didn’t seem to care he was “lost” (lost as in I couldn’t see him lost)  Then I worried the regulator was going to fall out of my mouth so I held it in my mouth, sometimes with both hands.  Occassionally I pressed the purge button by accident sending lots of air into my mouth which made a lot of bubbles!!  So that freaked me out.  Then I look over at Maryanne and she is pretending she is an airplane underwater!!  I would “lose” her occassionally too.  Then I constantly was checking all my guages, way more than normal!  Plus it was cold, etc, etc.  Man it was a tough dive and was happy to be going up when we did.  I did go into Decompression on the dive, but lucky it passed as we went up and didn’t have to do a longer safety stop at 5m than normal.  Although for part of the course we had to switch to the “drop tank” regulator and breath from that during our safety stop.  I didn’t mind it a bit as it was 100% O2 and helped me relax!  Anyway it was a great experience once done.  The boat we dove from was plenty big and the Technical divers we went with were fantastic.  They are going to teach our Wreck Specialty course!!!  So we get to head back to the Unicorn next Thursday, mostly cause Maryanne wants to get Narked again lol!!  Just kidding, it will be cheaper to do the course here, which we will need when diving the Wrecks in Micronesia.  Anyway loads of fun.  Oh the MV Trident was the boat that found the SS Lagoto, in the Gulf of Thailand.  It was a US Sub that was sank almost 60 years ago.  Just a piece of trivia for you guys.  Our thanks to Wilco and Ayesha for a wonderful dive!!



Tags:

2 responses to “Wreck/deep diving and Narcosis”

  1. Mom and Dad Davis says:

    Oh You Two —- you’re making me nervous! Sounds as if it might have been a scary situatiion….. and being down 120′ – Yikes, I’d be a wreck (no pun intended). Please don’t make me be more of a mother who always has to say… Be Careful!
    Good luck with the next dive and be safe….. Maryanne, if you ever start asking for Nitrox while on land, we’ll know you have a problem…Actually, you’re pretty happy without that stuff…
    Lol (in my words…. lots of love..)
    Mom

  2. Carl says:

    Narked sounds fun. 🙂 I assume it is the same as getting the “gas” at the dentist a couple decades ago. That was fun!!! I love it, I usually fly like an airplane and had a blast. 😉

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *