BootsnAll Travel Network



Koh Tao and First Dive

Well the train ride was crazy, very little sleep for Maryanne none for Jared 🙁  Oh well had to make sure our stuff was safe and that we got off at the right stop.  It didn’t seem that they would let us know what stop we were at.  So I was too worried to sleep, plus it was really bumpy.  Although together not too bad.  Now I wish I had done it during the day, I think the country side would have been really pretty.  Anyway we made it safe although a few hours late, which worked out quite well considering the ferry didn’t leave till 7am, we were supposed to get there at 330ish. So we only had to wait an hour or so to get a bus to the ferry.  The ferry ride out was awesome, beautiful water and lots of tiny rock formations in the water.  The island we were going to was just a little spot in the distance!  It took about an hour and a half to get to the island.  It looked so inviting as we approached! Our new home.  We got all our stuff off the dock and found that someone was there to actually take us to Buddha View which was wonderful, since we were both so tired.  Maryanne slept most of the ferry ride.  Well we got to the dive shop, got a little breakfast and then crashed for a bit in our room.  Well some might not call it a room as we all might know it but hey it was 6 dollars a night.  It was only meant to last a few nights till we found something more permanent for the 2 months.  The bathroom is setup so you can use the toilet and take a shower at the same time, very crazy. It also took us awhile to figure out how to work the toilet, as it doesn’t flush like a proper toilet.  You have to fill up a bucket of water and pore it in, gravity and pressure take care of the rest!  Once we figured it out it wasn’t that bad to use.  After a nap we looked at a few places to stay but figured we would decide tomorrow after a good night sleep.  Before we could call it a night, we had to watch a video on the first 2 chapters of our Dive Course.  Man was it tough to stay awake!  Luckily I was really excited to be diving soon, I think that helped me stay awake.  After dinner overlooking the bay, we decided to call it a night.  Man was it a rough night for maryanne.  The room has only a fan and the windows were open so a few mosquitos got in a did a number on Maryanne, that combined with the heat and the late night partiers down below she got very little sleep.  The next morning after some coffee she was at least able to attend the class in the morning, somewhat! 🙂  The class went pretty well, our instructor is awesome and extremely funny!  That afternoon we spent abouit 3 hours going over skills in the water. So far no problems.  I was surprised to find that the air coming out of the tank is quite cold!  I was just happy to be breathing underwater.  We meet up with the three other people in our group for dinner and drinks.  Buddha View has a lovely BBQ every night, which was fantastic.  For the two of us it was about $4, crazy huh?  Our group consists of a couple from Chile and a guy from Israel.  We ended up meeting a guy from NZ.  So it is almost like being back in Qatar with having a diverse group.  They are all really nice.  Last night was another rough night sleeping for Maryanne, thankfully we are moving to an AC so she should get a good night soon.  So today was the big day, we got in the ocean!!  Man was it cool, had a little difficulty with bouancy but only when we were swimming back to the boat.  Other than that no issues.  Maryanne at first couldn’t clear her ears but soon she was fine.  It was only about 2.5 meters but we were swimming with the fishes!!!!  Tomorrow we take our test and then do an 18m dive!  I can’t wait!  More on that later!

Oh the new room is much better!  We got AC and only $15/night while we are diving, not bad huh?!?!  We even have a proper flushing toilet! 



Tags:

4 responses to “Koh Tao and First Dive”

  1. Jenna says:

    yay u made it!
    damn mosi’s…! glad you’ve got a new room and hopefully a good night sleep!
    we miss u guys so much but glad you’re enjoying yourself!
    all our love j&m.x

  2. J & K says:

    We are happy that you guys made it there safely! Thinking of you…and loving your IPOD’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. Lamar says:

    Glad u guys made it there.. poor Maryanne, sleep is for the weak tho 🙂 Your not missing anything here in Doha thats for sure. Geez that BBQ sounds good right now…Cant wait to read about your next adventure..

  4. Jade says:

    …itchy dive feet here I come!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *