BootsnAll Travel Network



Mexico City Road Hockey

TEFL hockey

Several years ago, I got it into my head that it would be scads of fun to play road or ice hockey in Mexico City. I’d hoped that there would be some interest on the part of kids here to learn a new sport they weren’t familiar with. Mostly, I’d probably hoped somehow to recreate my own childhood (and to be honest, much of my adulthood) in Canada where the boys would get together every Sunday to play out in a vacant parking lot. Spring, summer, winter, fall and in any weather, we used to grab the sticks and a ball and play all day.


Over several trips home to Ottawa and with visits from my parents, I managed to collect enough hockey sticks, goalie equipment, and hockey odds ‘n ends to outfit two teams of five. But, in six years, I’ve never had much of a chance to get everyone organized into anything beyond shooting the ball around in the street.

Fortunately, another Canadian English teacher in Mexico City had a hankering for the hockey and came out with her visiting father, last Saturday morning. We had several kids interested, and headed out to a small concrete rink designed for futbol rapido but also appropriate for floor hockey.

Below are some video clips and stills that my brother-in-law took, since we couldn’t convince him to get into the game.

The Mexican kids had never held a stick before, but picked up the basics fairly quickly and surprised us with how well they played. They had so much fun that we all decided to come out and play every second Saturday (have to alternate with the more traditional Saturday soccer matches)
TEFL Hockey

That’s me in the net

You Tube Video Clips!  Part 1..
Extended clip of hockey action

You Tube Clip 2
Another clip in which they score on me

You Tube Clip 3
Short clip from behind Dixie, the other Canadian teacher

All shots below are courtesy of Saul Ruiz.

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey

TEFL hockey



Tags: , , , , ,

3 responses to “Mexico City Road Hockey”

  1. JC Cortes says:

    Guy:

    My kid has started to play Ice hockey 3 months ago in the newest Ice Rink in Cuautitlan Izcalli, I saw your blog and think that if I invite you to visit the kids you can help us with them motivation for this sports and you can recreate you childhood.

    Thanks

  2. admin says:

    That sounds fantastic! I’m usually a really busy person but if I can help out, I’d love to. Email me at guy@innovative-english.com

    Guy

  3. Joe V says:

    I’ll be moving to Mexico City in January from Detroit – I’m wondering if I should leave my ice hockey gear in storage at home in Detroit or if there are any opportunies similar to adult recreational leagues for ice hockey in Mexico City. Do you know anything about this subject?

    Thanks
    Joe

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *