BootsnAll Travel Network



Homesickness and Irritation

I’m going to admit that I’m very mildly homesick at the moment. I’d really like to just go home right now. The fact that I have an essay on Maori navigation due Monday probably isn’t helping much. But for the past three days straight I’ve been in the swing of wanting to go home. I miss all my friends and family. I won’t list who because the list of people I miss is long, and I’m afraid I’ll forget a name as I’m writing. And no offense to anyone, but I miss my doggies the most! I really want to give Daisy a great big hug! And since Molly’s getting on in years, I worry about her. I haven’t gotten to pet any dogs here… only the pugs way back when. I’ve been warding off my puppy addiction by petting cats, but it’s just not the same. Luckily when I go to Christchurch, I’ll get to visit a dog for a couple days as I’ll be staying with a Kiwi my grandma met through ebay. I love New Zealand hospitality! I’m getting excited for the trip, and the trip to Australia, but somehow the going home part has been overshadowing the excitement for the trips. I’m just tired and bored is really all it is. I need to get away from being put down for the dialect of English I speak. And sometimes it gets a little annoying when people put down my culture for everything and anything. It makes me want to rebel. You say it’s rude to eat with just a fork in my right hand instead of a knife to help “guide” the food? Well I say, under my breath, “bloody imperialists!” and outloud I say, “how bout if I use a spoon?” You say my government sucks, well you’re right, it does but I also say have to say, “and yours doesn’t?” You accuse us of being racist… “HAHAHA! What is it that you’re doing to the immigrants in your country, again?” You say, “The US is made up of the rejects of other countries…” I say, “no, actually the US is made up of people who didn’t want to stay in yours.” You say, “aren’t all Americans fat and ugly?” I say, “would you call me fat and ugly?” People need to learn to see the positive in other cultures as well as the negative. I’m sorry folks, but you are not better than anybody else, nor are we. Ok, I’m done complaining about the Europeans I know. I love them despite their… (I’m not sure what word would be appropriate here)… attitudes? Back to missing the US and all its supersizedness. Seven weeks till I land on US soil! Eight weeks till I’m back in EST zone!



Tags:

One response to “Homesickness and Irritation”

  1. Mum says:

    I think the reason you miss the dogs or just dogs is that they are non-judgemental and accepting. They are total love machines. AHH what we could learn from dogs! I can’t wait till you are back in the good ole USA so I can give you a supersize hug!
    Love, Mum

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *