BootsnAll Travel Network



Driving to Nowhere – August 7 & 8, 2006

So far we found some good waves and camped at a few nice spots but we hadn’t found any towns that we wanted to spend more than a day in.  So we decided to try to cover some more ground and get further down the coast. (we were only ¼ of the way down Baja after 4 days)  The surfer’s guide we had been trusting so far mentioned some cool bay towns just South of the North/South Baja border so we decided to sacrifice a day driving.  BAD IDEA.  We drove for something like 13 hours….the drive was supposed to be 5-6 hours.  We drove through nothing and then more nothing, then into the real nothing.  The desert has some pretty spots at sunset, but never seemed to end.  After a while the paved road ended and we were driving on a washboard dirt road for hours, sometimes slowing to a crawl because of the condition of the road.  All this to find a town called Bahia Tortugas…”a small friendly fishing village with some good breaks frequented by the yachting crowd”…sounds nice, huh?  Well, it wasn’t.  The drive had been in vain.  We found yet another dusty little fishing town but this didn’t even have any organization or any identifiable beach.  The whole town seemed like a struggling neighborhood with a few little groceries and dingy hotels mixed in.  We ended up stumbling on a small hotel in the dark with a nice host and crashed for the night.  After the ordeal our plans changed.  Instead of working our way down the coast day by day disappointed by town after town, we would spend the next day driving way South to a place we were sure we could hole up in for a while – Todos Santos – a small artist community just north of Cabo with nice beaches and decent surf. 

We woke up early because we knew it would be a tortuous drive south and we were right. We passed some cool salt flats, similar to the ones in the U.S., and ended up driving through a part of the desert that looked as if it had boulders placed in between each cacti.  13 hours later, we arrived in Paradise – Todos Santos.  We crashed at the first decent hotel ($25 a night) and decided that we would look for a little better place in the am.    

 



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *