BootsnAll Travel Network



Mangos Falling from the Sky – August 9 & 10, 2006

Jenny: We drove around Todos Santos – sort of an artsy town – for a while, looking for hotels and inquiring about their rates.  When we do this, we always end up finding the best places.  We knocked on what looked like a quaint B&B, Casa Bentley, and were welcomed by 5 dogs, a Swiss lady, Beatrice and an American geologist, Bob.  We walked into their kitchen and immediately thought that we would not be able to afford staying here.  They had one vacancy and luckily it was the off-season, so we got the room for $50 a night.  We were eating our own breakfast and lunch and the $1 taco stands were extremely cheap for dinner, so we were thrilled that it was in our budget. 


Beatrice and the dogs gave us a tour.  Bob had taken 20 years to build the house/hotel (only 5 guest rooms) on 2 acres.  The entire place was made of stone…the walls, the floors…and incredibly beautiful.  We found paradise…an oasis after days of driving through the desert.  We could not believe it….there was wireless internet and a gorgeous pool, all shaded by the biggest rubber tree we had ever seen, 2 outdoor kitchens (one a full size, overlooking avocado and mango trees), fountains and waterfalls. After realizing that I am obsessed with anything mango, Beatrice told me that there were so many mango trees on the property that I should take as many as I want…and I have. They are the best I have ever tasted.  They literally fall in front of our underground room.  We decided to go to Cerritos Beach for some surfing once we got settled.


Chris: The guest house is super cool so we decided to camp out for a few days to get over all the driving.  There are also some nice beaches nearby with picturesque little coves, palm trees and beautiful sunsets.  The waves break well here but there isn’t much swell this week.  We’ve been going to a nice beach called Cerritos that catches waves from most any direction, so we have been able to paddle out and have some fun.  There’s a left hand wave waist to chest high that breaks left for a good 50-100 feet on high tide and several other beach breaks as well.  I’d love to see the place on a decent swell.  While I battled the crowds (everyone North of Cabo comes here to surf) Jenny caught some great waves on her own closer to shore.  She’s standing up easily on every wave now and learning fast.  She even paddled out into the “lineup” of all the surfers further out to try for some bigger waves and caught a few.  We’ll probably stay here for 3-4 days then explore the Cabo area before taking the ferry to the mainland.



Tags: , , , , , ,

0 responses to “Mangos Falling from the Sky – August 9 & 10, 2006”

  1. Cat Grenier says:

    Jenny and Chris-

    I love you and I hope you like Mexico. Will you take me camping and make me breakfast burritos next summer?

    Love,
    Catherine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *