BootsnAll Travel Network



Perfect Longboard Waves, Sunken Ships and Wind! – August 6, 2006

Jenny: We drove south and ended up at a surf spot called “freighters” with a huge sunken ship – north of San Quentin.  Again, we met a ton of nice people from California and Mexico….such a strange landscape, ocean and desert right next to each other (which means lots of wind and thus dirt ending up in every single crevice of the car).  We paddled out together and eventually I caught a wave after the typical, snobby California guy cut me off a few times.  I headed in because the wind had picked up and I was freezing….Chris’ XL wetsuit top doesn’t exactly keep me warm and it slows me down a lot (every guy had a full suit on).  I was really happy for Chris, he said they were the best longboard rides of his life.  Before going in, a sea lion swam right next to us and his head came out of the water….it was awesome and reminded us of swimming with our very missed Morgan…..definitely worth the paddle out there! 


Chris: this spot had some amazing waist high waves just peeling around a bend for more than 100 yards.  Plus the beached 200 ft ship right next to the takeoff point made it a cool place overall.  The wave broke pretty gently so I wanted to take Jenny out to try a few but the water was the coldest we’ve felt so far – probably 52 – 55 degrees.  I should have bought her a wetsuit before we came down but I thought we’d only be in the freezing Northern Baja water for a few days – mistake.  Since it was sunny and the air was warm I figured I too would paddle out without a wetsuit so I would be cold along with her – only fair, right?  Well the waves were perfect but we were both shaking we were so cold and it was tough to get her in the right position for a wave with some of the crusty old California longboarders battling for position.  When she was finally in a priority position for a good wave (at a point break you’re supposed to wait your turn since the takeoff spot is confined) some fat dude paddled around her to steal her wave!  I was shivering cold and I was fuming.  I gave this guy the stink eye for a while for stealing what would have been my wife’s first perfect wave! 


Jenny ended up catching a good wave before going in because of the cold water and I finally broke down and put on my wetsuit and booties.  I was a little vengeful so I was going back out there to steal any wave that idiot took off on for the rest of the day but I calmed down and when I got back out he was gone.  Everyone else out there was super cool and it ended up being a really fun session.  I caught three of the longest waves of my life and after some more waves and paddling all the way back several times I was exhausted.  We battled the wind to load up the car and headed south again.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *