BootsnAll Travel Network



3am and Finally on the Road – July 28, 2006

We peeled ourselves out of bed on Friday at 3 am.  We quietly snuck out onto the dark, desolate streets.  As soon as we got onto the road, the surfboard straps began pounding on the roof of the car and Chris wasn’t having it.  We pulled over and he fixed it-or so he thought.  We began driving again and the pounding began again and so we pulled over and he fixed it-or so he thought.  On the empty road for a third time, but the quiet drive was once again interrupted by obnoxious straps.  It was time for some duct tape.  Chris broke it out and had a major fight with the tape….finally getting it fixed….taking all four boards off of the roof and readjusting.  It was fixed at 4:16am.  We passed a place called Morgan City in Louisiana-and it reminded us of our son.  began driving in Baton Rouge and we were quickly in Texas-it was slightly obvious from the thousands of American made pick-up trucks and horrible, empty roads.

 
We drove until Houston, Texas, when I merged incorrectly and we ended up going through all of downtown Houston.  We drove past the bustling and eclectic part of town, past Rice University, Texas Southern, University of Houston and the art district.  60 blocks later, we ended up at REI, where I found an amazing backpack that was last year’s model-so a $90 savings!!!  So maybe I slightly over-packed.  Needless to say, I will be shipping a duffle worth of stuff home once we get to California.
 

Our next stop was San Antonio….a highly recommended restaurant, La Fogata.  It was an amazing Mexican restaurant, an oasis off of I-10 (we changed in the car).  We walked through enormous wooden doors and there were tables, trees covered in white lights, fountains, a mariachi band and was moderately priced.  After an hour wait, we devoured some Mexican and got back on the road. 

100 miles later, we had been on the road for 21 hours.  We found an Econo Lodge and got a great night’s rest for another 2 days of driving ahead.   



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *