BootsnAll Travel Network



Tamales and Caverns – July 29, 2006

We left San Antonio with our sights set on Tucson, but first we had to detour north about 2 hours into New Mexico to see the Carlsbad Caverns.  We passed through Pecos, Texas, right before the border.  Pecos is a tiny town – in the middle of nowhere.  We found La Nortena, a world famous tamale drive through, except there was no drive.  We walked inside and met the locals, ordered tamales and were told about their world famous cantaloupe, used in Bluebell ice cream.  So, we had to try one out; they were about to have a cantaloupe parade.  We bought one for a dollar and were given one for free. 


The Carlsbad Caverns were pretty impressive – huge, football field sized caverns 750 feet below ground with stalagmites (sp?) in every shape imaginable football.  We walked a loop about 1.2 miles long but didn’t even see a fraction of the whole cavern.  Although they were discovered nearly a century ago, there are still parts that are unexplored.  But, since time was wasting, we hurried out to get on the road to Tucson.  After another 7 – 8 hours of driving we were in a hotel resting for the next day.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *