BootsnAll Travel Network



Tuning In

It’s a pretty awesome feeling to just sit under the bodhi tree. It’s unfortunate that the original one was chopped down, but it’s nice to know that what you sit under now is a relative of that original tree, specifically a grandchild. I could probably pass hours there if it weren’t for having to eat and sleep and all that. On my final day in Bodh Gaya, I’m sitting next to a monk from Myanmar who is taking classes at the university there and we get to talking. We spend the rest of the afternoon together visiting various monasteries around and he shows me the giant stone Buddha at the Japanese monastery, which is quite impressive size-wise but notably lacking in character and warmth. But he’s made of stone, the poor guy, I guess he can’t really help it.

The night before at the much appreciated Belgium fritte fest, I met a guy who’d done a Reiki course in Guatamala. The more we talked about it, I decided it was something I wanted to do, and this, right now! was the time to do it. So I called ahead to Kolkata and arranged to study with a private master there for a couple of days. Reiki’s a bit hard to explain, and in a lot of ways it’s probably better not to try, but suffice it to say it’s a form of alternative healing, using the energy all around us. It acquires an “attunement” by a master to get all your chakras whirling in order, and then you are a channel for the energy and can direct it at will. I was attuned to Reiki II, and I think that’s enough for me, I won’t be going after a mastership. Reiki II allows me to practice not only on myself and others hands on, but I can also do distance healing. From what I’ve experienced, it’s some pretty powerful stuff, so I’ve picked up some literature from other philosophies, and I’m looking farther into what I’m dealing with here. Maybe I’ll let you know about it, or maybe I’ll let you know about it.

Having the structure of a “class” was nice not just for normality’s sake, but to get to know the city and feel just a little like I lived here. Surprisingly there’s a subway, which I came to understand after getting terribly lost only once. One fine morning on my way to class, I grabbed some breakfast on the street. When I got to the subway entrance, there were two guards who denied me entry, on account of my still eating. So, I finished, but when I tried to go in, they still wouldn’t let me, apparantly because I had yet to wash my hands. I take out my hand sanitizer and do so before them. I’m still holding on to the paper from breakfast, and am looking for a trashcan (rare), and they advise me to throw it on the ground.

In the Kolkata metro system, you may spit, hack, cough, piss, burp (surprisingly popular here amongst men and the ladies) and litter…but God help you if you don’t wash your hands.

When I got off the train the morning of my arrival from Bodhgaya I went immediately to my teacher’s house, so I had all my bags with me still and nowhere to sleep that night. After class, I took a cab to Sutter St, where all the backpackers in Kolkata live. I’d gotten advice to go to a particular guesthouse, and was headed there through the courtyard (ish) when someone grabbed me from behind. My fist thought was that I was being asked for money or pens or chocolate, but it turned out to be a girl who was staying there, traveling with 2 other girls, all from Spain. They needed a 4th person in their room and wondered if I’d like to join. Why not? It’s a good chance for me to practice my spanish and for them to practice their laughter at my pathetic attempts at spanish, so ok, everyone wins. They’re here volunteering for Mother Theresa’s organization, and I’ll probably go with them tomorrow. As I’ve spent the entire 3 previous days doing Reiki, this leaves really only today to see Kolkata, so what am I doing here?



Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “Tuning In”

  1. Charlotte says:

    Now the “distance Reiki” email makes sense.

    Maybe they need the litter to soak up the pee?

    Also- have a good day tomorrow, the 22nd.
    Ill be thinking of you. Em has a thing with 22 as well, but just 2/22 and its exactly opposite my thing with 2/22. Ill let her explain it.

  2. Reiki Guide says:

    I’m fascinated by such a diverse range of views and opinions. Who’s your “go to” guy?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *