BootsnAll Travel Network



The Nordic states are conspiring against me

So, my good feeling about Brussels was right on the mark. But then, in a country that’s famous for chocolates and waffles, what’s not to love? Seriously. It was nice to stay in one place for more than one night. I also spent the next few days around Belgium: Antwerp (eh) and Brugge (yeah!). I’d not really heard anything about Brugge, but I’m so glad I went; it’s this quaint little town with narrow cobblestone streets, and everyone travels by bicycle or horse and buggy. I loved it, there were ornate cathedrals unexpectedly at every turn, meandering canals, and as in all of Belgium, exquisite food at reasonable prices. Geez, listen to me, I sound like a commercial. Really, though. Brugge. Go there. My intention was to leave from Brugge to Oslo, taking a series of connecting overnight trains, arriving there at 7am. Well, what do YOU think happened. I had my seats reserved on all the trains I was supposed to, but somehow, after making the second connection, I end up at the last stop in this little town I’ve never heard of, nor do I remember, near the southern Belgium/French border. I honestly have no idea how this occured, I was certain I’d gotten on the right train. Apparently not. So I stayed the night there, and decided, hey, maybe I wasn’t meant to go to Oslo just now (I kind of feel like avoiding it altogether, just for the principle of the thing. I have my pride.) So instead, I’m going to sneak up on it–take small steps closer and closer, until WHAM, I’m there, and they will have to deport me to be rid of me. Those Norwegians will never see it coming….so don’t tell them. Currently I’m in Amsterdam, I’ve booked two nights here, and my roommates seem lovely, even though I think I possibly came at an inopportune time. Ah well. Now, I’m off to see more of the city; everyone’s got bikes here too, and it makes me want one. We’ll see if I can hold out. I’ve just finished a book called Prague, which I highly reccomend for anyone intersted in Budapest (strangly the whole thing takes place there) or life in general. Now, I’m on to Thich Nhat Hahn, No Death, No Fear. I love that guy. I”ll let you know how it goes.

P.S. Sorry about the pictures, I know I keep promising them and then not delivering. I just keep forgetting to bring all the equipment with me. Soon though. Really.

Brugge.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *