BootsnAll Travel Network



Sunsets for the infirm

“What is this mushy crap. Blair, you may have boobs, and generous ones at that, but you have a man’s name so suck it up and act like one. ”
-Matt Kehoe

Well boys and girls, it’s time for another Good Idea, Bad Idea. Good Idea: booking several nights in a quiet little town like Granada to overcome an illness. Bad Idea: Deciding on the third day that three bedridden days is inexcusable, no matter how little you’ve eaten, and venturing out for a “little” tourist activity which, in Granada, leaves only a trip to Alhambra, castle on a hill. Since we last spoke, I am pleased to say I completely recovered myself from my bout of nasty-feeling in Italy…for a good 48 hours. Then, suddenly in Valencia, the gods of swollen lymph nodes did smite me like a linebacker at a Friday night hs football game. Now, my neck even looks like a linebacker’s. Anyway, I don’t mean to complain too much, today was better than yesterday, I’m trying for solid foods at dinner…big step. I wish I had a bit more to tell you, but I’ve sort of been in this state for a few days now, so not much has really happened aside from sleep and, yes mom, I drinking plenty of fluids. The good news is, the internet at this hostel is freeee, so I’ve spent countless hours here, writing under the influence of anti-histamines. Here’s a fun story, though: Today I had my first chance encounter with someone I’ve met before. I went down to the kitchen for a bit of orange juice this morning, and when I sit down, I hear some one go, “Hey….New York”, and low and behold, it’s a guy I met like a month ago in Florence. Small world, isn’t it? He and his friend are staying here and favored me with a rendition of “New York, New York” to make me feel better. Also, there’s a couple of girls in my room who’ve been really friendly and good to talk to. So no worries, I’ll be better in no time. I’m contemplating trying for Seville tomorrow because it isn’t far, but I may end up with another night here depending how I feel. Mind over matter, yes? Yes. Not a bad place to be laid up, though, as you can see from the pictures. I’m also in this awesome neighborhood of little arab teashops, and at night, the small winding streets housing them fill with people and music and scents of incense and food. Quite a place. Also, this hostel offers free spanish lessons, which I have taken advantage of to pass the time. I apologize that I really don’t have more to say, or that I can’t be more positive. I did try though, can you tell? How about a cliche to make you feel better. Every cloud has a silver lining. How did that feel? Hope it helped.

P.S. (Approximately 3 hours later…) I wrote this and then went to lay down for a while, and was thinking, you know really, I’m not that bad, they’re going to worry, I should go tell them that. I think tomorrow I’ll be well enough to go to Seville. Then, because fate is a funny thing, one of the girls in my room walks in and we start talking and she says she want to go to Morocco tomorrow, but no one will go with her….oh yes. Yes, I did. Actually, I said I’d let her know how I felt in the morning, but then I decided that I really just should and I took a shower and felt much better and am now going to indulge in a 3 course indian meal for 3.5euros. Tomorrow, I’m going to Morocco.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *