BootsnAll Travel Network



Munich, Germany

mun6.jpg

May 15 – Munich has changed since I was here 16 years ago. I was surprised first of all by the various nationalities strolling around the Marienplatz, especially the muslim women covered head-to-foot in black shawls. There seemed to be an awful lot of them. And Africans, some looking like they had just gotten off the plane. Munich at first glance seemed a much more crowded and multicultural place than when I had last seen it.

———————————————————————————————————————————
Munich; brief history and interesting facts;

  • City was founded in 1158, city status in 1175. Prospered from the trading and taxing of salt originating from Salzburg on its way to Augsburg.
  • Black Plague (12 outbreaks between 1349 – 1495) killed between 30-60% of population. As in many places in Europe, Jews, lepers, and beggars were blamed for carrying the disease.
  • Frauenkirche (Church of our Lady) is largest church in Munich. Building started in 1468, took 20 years to complete. Built over the grave of Ludwig IV.
  • Michaelskirche (St. Michael’s Church) built between 1583 and 1597. One of first Renaissance buildings north of the Alps.
  • Hofbrauhaus; was built in 1589 as the royal brewery of the Kingdom of Bavaria. Was one of beer halls used by the Nazi party to hold functions. Hitler spoke here, it was also the location of some of the first violent attacks against Jews.
  • Bubonic Plague (1634-1635) killed one third of Munich’s citizens.
  • Munich was Nazi base, first when it tried taking control in 1923 (failed – Hitler was jailed) and later when it took power in 1933.
  • Interesting – Knowing the city would be bombed and destroyed, the Nazis took photographs of all historical buildings when WWII was coming to end. All the restoration work was based on the Nazi photographs.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————

    mun9.jpg

    I had picked Lissette up at 5:30 in the morning at the airport. We spent that day and the next exploring most of the “to do” sites in Munich: strolling down Neuhauser Strasse to the Marienplatz, visiting the Viktualienmark (the market), walking up to Odeonsplatz where we saw the Felderrnhalle (the Roman looking commander’s Hall – I had seen pictures of Hitler making speeches here and it was a bit eerie) and the mustard coloured church next to it. We went up the stairs of Peterskirche for great views of the city, visited the Alte Pinakothek (very interesting art gallery featuring paintings from Middle Ages to beginning of 19th century), then went to the Englisher Gardens on a sunny Sunday afternoon where we proceeded to get slightly shit-faced on liter glasses of beer.

    Below: the Viktualienmark
    mun4.jpgmun2.jpgmun3.jpg

    Below; Alte Pinakothek (even great art gets boring after a while..)

    mun93.jpgmun94.jpgmun95.jpgmun96.jpgmun97.jpgmun99.jpg

    Other Munich photos;

    mun1.jpgmun8.jpgmun5.jpg

    Munich was interesting and perfect for a 2 day stay – we are not big city people (although Munich is really more of a smaller city, kind of like Montreal) and by the end of the 2nd day we started looking forward to moving on to Fussen, which would be our next stop.

    ——————–

    We stayed at Hotel Eder in Munich. It met our needs – very clean, in a convenient location, not too expensive (about 90 euros a night), good breakfasts. It was also charmingly Bavarian. The wifi didn’t work for me though, and the stairs to the 4th floor were a pain (“you get Olympic training” joked the old guy at reception). The area around it was also a bit rough, but on the other hand we were right next to the train station which made it very handy. I’d give the Hotel Eder a 3 out of 5 and would stay here again if on a short stay (if on a longer stay I’d look for something out of this area. Lissette says that single women should not stay here).

    Next stop Fussen and the castles of Mad King Ludwig!



    Tags: , , ,

  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *