BootsnAll Travel Network



exploring Kathmandu

kathmandu-nepal.jpg I can’t even begin to describe how incredible this place it – I just can’t do it justice. You really have to see it to believe it. I have already visited a number of temples and a monastery, witnessed the Hindu ceremonial burning of a corpse, bartered in the markets, experienced the nightlife at a disco in Thamel – so much! Village life is a completely different world – squat toilets, community bathing, limited electricity, few telephones or internet. While short on modern conveniences, the villages offer rich experiences, like riding with a goat on the roof of a bus, endless trekking opportunites, and the opportunity to spend time with lovely and friendly Nepali people.

I’m dedicating the next few days to exploring the city of Kathmandu. It is monsoon season and it’s been raining most of the afternoon, so many of the streets are washed out completely or just a terrible muddy mess, but that shouldn’t slow me down too much. Taxis and rickshaws are plentiful and inexpensive, so I should be able to cover quite a bit of territory. If the weather clears, I may venture outside the city limits. I will let you know what I find!



Tags:

2 responses to “exploring Kathmandu”

  1. Peggy says:

    Nancy – your trip sounds wonderful and interesting. So many new adventures and some bizarre things along the way too. Can’t wait to see the pictures!

  2. Deb says:

    So instead of “do you want fries with that” do they substitute “rice” for “fries”? I can’t even imagine the culture shock of the different animals, foods, language, toilets, weather – pretty much EVERYTHING! I don’t hear any regret in your comments, which is what it’s all about, right – no regrets. Bill came to Dustin’s grad party and had a nice time with our neighbors – they will be added to your August party list. It’s great fun reading about your experiences. I miss you and can’t wait to see you again!

  3. Bill says:

    Keep up the posting. It was nice to hear your voice. Sorry we couldn’t talk longer. I had to go to court to represent an employee resisting a “No Contact Order.” Talk about Jerry Springerland. WOW. Glad you are enjoying it.

  4. Mary J says:

    Hey, Nancy — I love reading about your adventures. Keep on bloggin’ so we can keep on reading. Now I want to see Kathmandou for sure. I agree with Deb’s comment about culture shock. I don’t know if I could do it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *