BootsnAll Travel Network



The Rocky Road

November 1st – raining again today. We had a long wait as the bus did not leave till 2.30. Josh slept all morning so he must have been tired. O and I ventured out to the supermarket to get supplies and were surpised by the friendliness of everyone who would stop us to chat (so I just flung my hands around a lot).

We had to ask twice how to get to the bus stop which was supposed to be 2 streets away. It was raining, the bags were heavy but we made it. The bus journey was quite an adventure. Half of it was in the dark, there were families of pickpockets who boarded the bus when we stopped and the n the journey itself. Imagine the bumpiest dirt trail you can, full of huge potholes, stones, roaming cows and winding up through the mountains. It was quite a ride, we crossed raging rivers on tiny bridges, dodged roaming cows and all in the dark and rain. Once the driver suddenly stopped, reversed and then floored it over something. Josh reckons it was a fallen tree. The bus driver deserved a medal and it was good to get to Santa Elena after 6 hours.

The hostel was recommended in Lonely Planet (which everyone seems to walk round with) and the owners are super friendly but my god the smell from our bathroom was horrible. I hope I can get over it, it’s not that I yearn for anything perfect but this feels like a discomfort too far…………..

 



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *