BootsnAll Travel Network



Japan – day 9

Sumo day! Well watching the sumo match certainly was facinating. I was interested in the fact that a lot of wrestlers are not Japanese, or even Mongolian (there have apparently been a lot of Mongolians doing sumo for quite a while) but a lot of Eastern Europeans as well. We got to eat traditional sumo food for about $2 a bowl (one of the best bargains in Japan). The food was good, it was something like beef stew with potatos, carrots, onions, and also seafood and beef. I don’t think it would make you big like a sumo wrestler right away, it seemed like very healthy food. There was one skinny sumo wrestler but I didn’t get a picture of him.

191sumo.jpg

All the top-level contestants in their ‘dress outfit’ before the match. On match day events start early in morning with the lower level wrestlers and throughout the day the contestants are higher and higher ranked. All the contestants come out in their traditional apron-style garment before the match, and these are the top tier.

192.jpg

This is a traditional demonstration before the matches begin.

193.jpg

Another traditional demostration with a bow. This occurs after the matches are over.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *