BootsnAll Travel Network



Police Kick Vendors Out of Oaxaca Zocalo

Wondering around in the Zocolo (plaza) Monday, my friend Paula, who has lived here before, was approached by some young girls with a questionaire for tourists and asked if she had been to the Guelaguetza…or if she had been to see the reenactment of the Princess Donaji legend or any other official  related event of which she had attended none.

But she announced that she HAD been in the Zocolo that morning when the Municipal Police ignominiously strutted in with their flak jackets, shields and rifles to throw the street vendors out, releasing tear gas,  injuring four, detaining eight (mostly local hippie looking jewelry-makers who were standing up for the rest of the vendors who are mostly indigenous people from the mountains)  and sending tourists and locals alike into a frightened flurry to get out of the way.

It is not clear whether the vendors had a permiso to be in the zocalo but this is not the first time they have been thrown out over the years.  Maybe they didn’t pay their mordida (bribe to the city)?  This happened at the same time that the out-going Governor was giving his welcoming speech at the Guelaguetza so I guess he figured most of the tourists wouldn’t witness what was happening in the zocalo.

One vendor said that Sunday night there were so many people in the zocalo (many thousands) that with vendors plugging up both sides of the walkways that people had trouble passing through. But then he had a vested interest because he was a walking rabozo (shawl) seller without a table.  My own gut feeling is that it was the established businesses around the zocalo that complained…as has also happened before. It’s too bad, because the tourists love the vendors with their colorful clothes and crafts and it’s an opportunity for them to make some money. When they are not pestering the hell out of you when you are sitting at a cafe table trying to have a conversation with friends.

I guess the vendors didn’t leave “pacific” (peaceful) enough for their taste. Paula said she thought it was imperdonable (unpardonable!)  Uro Fuera! (Out! Uro!) she exclaimed, referring to a recurrent plea since 2006 for the current fraudulently elected Governor to step down. Then she said that the city could do something about the horrible  traffic detoured around Conzati Park…where I happen to live.  The girls? No expression. I wonder if they will even turn in that paper. He he! I thought it was hilariously funny!



Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *