BootsnAll Travel Network



I Picked The Worst Day Ever To Travel

It was supposed to be a simple trip from Oaxaca to Portland Oregon on December 17th to get stuff for my apartment in Oaxaca.  In the first place the plane was an hour late out of Oaxaca.  So I missed the connection in Mexico City to Los Angeles. About a half hour into the flight we hear a message from the pilot: “This is an emergency! Take one of the oxygen maska and place it on your face!”  But no oxygen masks come down from the ceiling.  A few minutes later we get the same message.  Again nothing happens.  The stewardess is on the phone. Then an announcement in spanish from the stewardess,  that,  I gathered, was that all was a false alarm.  Tranquilo, she says.

Then in Mexico city they rerouted those of us who missed connections to LAX us through Las Vegas.  Three hours out of Mexico City (and almost to Las Vegas) the plane turned back and I ended up where I started…Mexico City.  No more planes out that night so I slept in the airport…the alternative was the Hilton Hotel at the airport for $200 a night!  Next morning finally took a plane out of Mex City to LAX where I waited for a 7:30pm flight.  A half hour wait on the tarmac because the plane door wouldn’t shut.  Finally slid into PDX about 8:30pm on the 18th.  Spent an hour filing a missing baggage report and narrowly got on the HUT for Salem after which I took a taxi to Lyn’s.  So here I am in Salem in the middle of the worst snow and ice in the last 30 years.  But the Toyota started right up and I spent the day today running errands.  Got a phone call late today that my bag turned up at PDX so they will deliver it to the house in Salem. Tomorrow I will pack some duffels full of kitchen and other stuff to take back to Oaxaca.

So for inquiring minds, this is how I got from Oaxaca, Mexico to Salem, Oregon.

On the way back to Oaxaca I’ll stop in Las Vegas to spend Christmas with Greg, my first-born son. Maybe.



Tags: , , , , , ,

One response to “I Picked The Worst Day Ever To Travel”

  1. Rebecca says:

    OMG! It sounds like you had an adventure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *