BootsnAll Travel Network



My next big trip!

I will be going to Turkey from Oct 20-Nov 4 this year.

Some people have asked me how we decided to go there.

Last year, when we were on the plane back home from Spain, I was reading an article about Turkey and how they want to join the EU.

I said to Jim, “You know, Turkey would be a cool place to visit.”

He said, “Yeah, I’ve always wanted to go there, too.”

“Hm. Well, let’s go there next.”

“Okay.”

And that’s how our trip was decided for 2006.

Some people have tried to tell me it is not a wise decision to go and that it is dangerous, especially after bombs went off in some tourist areas at the end of August. I was a little concerned, but you can’t be afraid of everything. The chances of something happening to us are tiny. And it would piss me off to chance my travel plans because of some stupid terrorists.

So I’ve already decided where I want to go next year: Egypt.

When I was a little girl, I was obsessed with ancient Egyptian history. I forgot more about it than most people will ever know. Seriously, I read about it ALL day. I even tried to teach myself to read heiroglyphics. And to the amusement of Jim (when he saw the photo), I was Nefertiti for Halloween once. I used an empty gallon ice cream container painted gold as my headgear. I thought it was awesome. Oh man. I was such a weird kid.

So anyway, I wanted to be an Egyptologist when I grew up, but my dad told me it was a hard job and didn’t make much money. I kind of knew I wouldn’t be one, anyway. Eventually, my interest in Egypt faded.

But just the other day I thought of visiting the Pyramids and I can’t believe I never thought of it before. It would be NUTS to see them in real life. I never thought as a kid I would ever actually get to see them. Can you imagine??? I am excited already.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *