BootsnAll Travel Network



Victorian Fair and Beerfest in Alloa

Next Weekend, the village of Alloa, at the foot of the Ochills, celebrates its 150th anniversary of becoming a burgh.
As if that wasn’t enough, it is also the date for the CAMRA Alloa Spring Ale Festival

The Alloa Real Ale (and cider!) festivals in the townhall are always a time for convival debauchery. But the Mayfest next Saturday (May 22nd) coincides with a Victorian Fair on the grounds of the historic Alloa Tower to celebrate the anniversary.

The fair takes place over two days, Saturday and Sunday, and promises to be a proper village fête. From the organiser’s provisional program:

There will be craft demonstrations, performers, a Victorian schoolroom, Victorian music, children’s activities and a traditional fun fair.

A traditional town crier will advise you of the times for joining the open top bus on a tour round Alloa, or the times of Alva Drama’s performances of Wind in the Willows.

Many local groups, dressed in Victorian costumes, will be taking part in the excitement, selling fruit, cakes, sweets and jams. Sample fish that has been smoked by the traditional method used in Victorian times or taste roast pork cooked on a spit in front of your eyes.

One of the main highlights will be a parade through Alloa that will leave from the car park at Kilncraigs at 12.30 pm on Sunday. It is estimated that around 100 people, in Victorian costume, will be taking part. Jugglers, fire-eaters, and clowns mixed with representatives from local organisations will be enjoying themselves through Alloa Town Centre. In addition there will be Alloa Pipe band, a vintage car, a vintage fire engine and a horse drawn hearse from Victorian times.

– Sounds like a ball!

As I am sit in my office in Stirling, looking out of the window, I can see the village in the shadows of the hills just past the Wallace Monument. If the weather is anything like today, it will be a glorious weekend.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.