BootsnAll Travel Network



Kid in a Candy Store

Good timing, this. I’ve just run out of books (still not signed on for the living-room-sized library down the road)—but I have acquired enough travel brochures and magazines for weeks of browsing.

This weekend was the Daily Telegraph Adventure Travel Show at Kensington Olympia where over 200 tour operators literally fell over themselves with offers of trip ideas and itineraries on a plate. Some were guys after my own heart, suggesting with a wink that the destination was easily accessible to backpackers. Others less so. Volunteer work for conservation organisations is expensive—and in my opinion overly so, although granted they will have to train up and supervise people. Not my cup of tea. Of course I want to do some voluntary work, but there does not seem to be a shortage of conscientous travellers and it has turned into big business. In the end I decided not to put myself under pressure or feel guilty if I end up just bumming around. The question is where? Central/South America? The Silk Road? (too far from the sea), China, India (which has me in its grip, I shall return. India gets to everyone that way…), Mauritania and West Africa or perhaps Azerbaijan, one of the hottest new destinations? —Talk about kids and sweetshops!

By the evening after some happy, if hyper, roaming, my thoughts had crystallized. I want to be near the sea or preferably on it—but I lack money or skills so my desire to embark on the ultimate whalewatcher’s round-the-world trip: The Whale’s Trail, will have to be put on hold for now. And let’s face it, ideally I want it all: sea, sun, sand, coral reefs, whalewatching, jungle, towns and villages. I want it cheap, I want it easy and I want it to be flexible because I am not sure how long I will last. I may grow weary from the road or stray off budget (blame my age). So my choice of destination is tobvious: South East Asia. After all, it is almost ridiculous that I have never been to Thailand (outside Bangkok Airport). The very next day I was leafing through the Lonely Planet Shoestring guide (LP rules for this destination, if only for their superior maps)—SE Asia, here I come!

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.