BootsnAll Travel Network



Greenland: Equipment Haul

It was a beautiful day for it, and it has to be done, so I caught a lift with my husband on his way to the weekly meeting at Reading University.

Looking in vain for the Army surplus shop supposedly on Friar Rd, I passed a bag store and—on a whim—walked in. Unexpectedly, they had a few backpacks on display and after some deliberation, I ended up with a 50l pack for 50 quid; that’s at least 1/3 off the usual price. And because it’s me, the shop owner only charged me � 45. Then I asked about that army store.

“Why, what do you need?” The owner asked.

“Boots.”

“Come with me.”

We went to the neighbouring store room and he indicated a whole shelf with hiking boots lying in lose piles. Most of them were men’s, two were ladies’ and one was my size. I even liked the colour. I reckoned they weren’t waterproof high-tech jobs, but they would do for a short trip and 20 quid was a lot better than eighty or ninety in the outdoor store. After I’d taken them home, I discovered that they are Gortex hiking boots!

Then I went to Millet’s and bought their last navy rainjacket in my size in the sale.

Not at all bad 🙂

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.