BootsnAll Travel Network



Back to writing about it…

Drifting past Icebergs

After finishing my novel draft and starting (and aborting) several short stories, I’m slowly turning back to travel writing.

The last couple of weeks browsing have thrown up some good leads (in addition to those I already monitor). First up is Daisann McLane’s travel blog. Although I find its name (therealtravelblog) somewhat sniffy; as if the hundreds of other travel blogs on Bootsnall and elsewhere were somehow less ‘real’ just because not every author has a travel writing gig.

But some do! And sometimes it happens to the best people. 🙂

I don’t have any ambition to write a travel book. I’m just dabbling. But keeping a journal (and later blog) for my own pleasure has done much to enrich the travelling experience and ingrain those memories, good and bad. Sometimes they invade my dreams. And so I’m glad to find that there is plenty of overlap between travel and fiction writing. Lavie Tidhar is one of my favourite authors who does both.

I stumbled across another surprise find when I was looking for a market for one of my stories. Literary nonfiction and fiction together in a webzine full of beautiful writing (if not site design). Some of the travel pieces can be sampled here.

So there is plenty of inspiration to be getting on with. But in a while.

If you’ll excuse me, I have a football game to watch first 😉

Tags: , ,



Comments are closed.