BootsnAll Travel Network



Arrival

The Great Scottish Lightshow here on Mull is even better than in Stirling!
The golden evening sun picks up spots of green on the hills or islets in the bay. Wherever there is a dusting of rain or a balling of clouds, it paints it in pastel rainbows which look georgeous but the diffraction is probably going to play buggery with our theodolite readings.

Tobermory Bay is lined with colourful houses painted red, blue, pink and yellow. From the window in the YHA I can see across a forest of sailing boat masts reflected in the ripples of sky and woody hills to the pub where I will meet the other volunteers. After a short briefing in the office, it is now time for some bonding.

We have to sort out provisions. When I said that the clunking of glass in my rucksack were jars of spices, the others looked a little surprised. Fresh fruit and veg are a little scarce on the ground — garlic is nearly a quid a head — but there is a local butcher offering home-cured bacon, highland beef and venison, so we’ll be OK if the others aren’t all vegetarians. Else, it is going to be pulses, rice and seaweed curry!

Access on Ard truly is limited. I am currently typing against a clock in the Tobermory youth hostel’s internet setup and it won’t let me upload any pictures to show you how beautiful it is here.

Bye for the next few days!

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.