BootsnAll Travel Network



Laos cont’d + musings on this & that

Decided to spend another day with the ladies & share the cost of a rented van for the 6 hr trip to Vang Vieng which Lonely Planet describes “As if a section of Bangkok’s Khao San Rd has been transplanted—“. Well LP tends to exaggerate a bit there are a couple of blocks on the main drag with a lot of guest houses & bars where you see some staggering down the street with quarts of beer in hand being kind of load but get down by the river it’s quiet & a great place to relax.

Spent the afternoon chilling then took a walk along the Nam Sung River which is nice with the mountains just a half dozen kms away forming a backdrop & there was also a partial eclipse of the sun which lent to the atmosphere. Later in the evening we went out for Thai food which they do like us with Chinese, order a bunch of everything & everybody shares. Even though only Jin was fluent in English & a couple girls didn’t understand much everyone had a good time the last couple days. When they left to go back to Bangkok today, work calls, Jin had to go in Sunday evening & the rest Monday, I missed their company & laughter as their enthusiasm & joy of life was not hard to take. A least I have fond memories & the email address of a new friend in Bangkok!

This whole experience just confirmed what I have thought all along that there are different kinds of people in this world, there are grumps, selfish, out-going, introverted (me) & really nice caring folks. It doesn’t matter a whit the skin color, nationality, religion each type is found everywhere but in general travelers fall into the nice caring group & are a pleasure to be around. Even the Bangkok ladies do not really hang out that much at home but enjoy traveling together & making new friends doing so, small world!! Just never know who you will meet or where & what you may have in common, that’s one of the great things about traveling!

In conversation with Jin I found out that she had spent a year studying at McGill University in Montreal, the parent of MacDonald College in Ste Anne De Bellevue where I spent a couple years studying (partying), it really is a small world!

Another thing that is becoming apparent is that the fewer travelers that go to a certain place, the more aware they are & out to learn about people rather than just going for a good time or because it’s the in thing to do.

Enough philosophizing back to traveling it’s off to Pakse then Si Phan Don (Four Thousand Islands) providing I can get a bus ticket, if not another night here then go Monday. 



Tags:

4 responses to “Laos cont’d + musings on this & that”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    wow!! that’s really great Dave…you’re meeting up with really fun people which are the making of fond memories….Im so happy you’ve had this chance i n your life to visit the world and see how really small it is and how similar we really all are! you’re one lucky guy Uncle Busman!
    we love ya here on the Hill!

  2. Dave says:

    It takes work but it surely is worth it to get an understanding of how most people all over the world are basically great. Not at all like our politicians & media try to make us believe!

  3. macdon says:

    Dave – I love your pics. Everything looks so beautiful.

  4. Dave says:

    Asia is definitely worth a visit for anyone that can make the trip!