BootsnAll Travel Network



NEW PIX & My Workdays Thus Far…

I had planned on putting the digital pictures I took of the Mali family compound in this entry. But the one’s I uploaded aren’t saved for some reason…hmmm…..not cool.

Anyway, without further technical adieu, I’ve been hanging out with Rob and at home, also we are working on our web-page with our designer, Ms. Karishma, DJ extraodinaire.

It’s coming along, slowly. We’ve spent a couple of late afternoon brainstorming and arguing for which design look best, which is odd, since we are her clients.

Karishma is one of my soul sister’s that I met 2 years ago, here in Kathmandu. She and I also worked together on the now defunct, Thamel Time Out, we had a lot of fun working together, well, I shouldn’t speak for her, but I had a great time working on the magazine with her, we worked really well together. So after a year of not seeing her, here I was sitting her in flat, which was stifling hot, and we are back in work mode, it was beautiful.

It will be linked in the Nepal Direct Effects site under the name Healing Light Foundation. Rob had a name that I really didn’t vibe with, because it was such a generic title in this part of the world, Himalaya. Everything is Himalaya this, Himalayan that. So, Karishma, just named it Healing Light Foundation to fill in the blank where a name should be and I think we’ll stick with it. I don’t know, any susggestions?

Instead of Foundation, which sounds intimidating, maybe Healing Light Center.

Jasmine just came into the office, she likes to hang-out with me. One time, I was telling Rob about how she comes up into the office to say hello to me, and a few moments later, she sauntered in to say, “you called?” She heard me talking about her and came up, isn’t that cute! ?

I wrote the a first draft of a press release, but I’ll need quotes for it. We are seeking press in the States, so that we can get some exposure, to attract interested parties for volunteering, teaching and of course, getting some $$$ flow going to run the school.

The interesting thing about semantics is here in Nepal, we have to promote it as a healing center, promoting Reiki instead of massage. Massage is associated with prostitution. But in the States, we’ll promote it as a massage school and healing center. Depending on which circles, mainstream vs. specialized.

Blah. Blah.Blah.

I’ll break up the monotony by describing the house.

Mero Ghar (my home) by Sharmila Mali.

Here is my house, brickhouse.jpg each floor is one large room, and my room is the second one, or the first depending on which country you are from. In American standards, it’s the 2nd floor, in Asian and European standards, it is the first floor.

This is my father’s side of the family. The land has been our’s for at least 3 generations. If we hadn’t emigrated to the U S of A, we would’ve lived on this property.

In this patriarchal society, the men remain on the property (usually) where they grew up. It is the sister’s that leave the house to go and live with her new husband and his family.

In my case, my father’s 2 brother’s and sister, along with their children all live happily under several roofs. Ahh, you say, why does sister still live with her natal family and not her new family? It’s because she’s unmarried.

Both my uncle’s have 2 kids, one male, one female. Plus, we have a family helper/housekeeper/butler/family member, Kancha, whose picture I cannot add for some reason.

We have two other member of the family I’d like you to meet, Kali and Jasmine.

jasmine.jpg

As for Kali, I don’t know if it’s mange, or something else, they give her medicine, but she’s always had it. When this photo was taken, I didn’t pick the nasty goop out of her eyes. She’s a year or two older than Jasmine. She’s very elegant and mature. And Jasmine doesn’t like it when Kali receives attention.
kali.jpg

Wait did you say each floor is one room? Then, where is the bathroom? Why you just do your bidness in a pot outside…naw….just kidding, we aaahr a bit more sivalazed than thahat (said with haughty British accent). More potos (Nepali accent) to come, I hope, if I can figure out why they aren’t saved in the magical place where images go to on this web-site.



Tags: , , , ,

3 responses to “NEW PIX & My Workdays Thus Far…”

  1. broK says:

    Hey big Sister, is this the way to keep in touch? Ewwwww, feels so public. I was very warmed to see the pics of the house, I miss it much. The sun is winding down here. Our uncle Mahendude got married, I’m sure you herd it. Wedding at a chinese buffet, what the fuck? But actually it was quite genius as nobody was too stressed and the whole thing was actually enjoyable, if not overwhelming on Lisa’s end. They bombarded her with custom as is customary. They had to send in the Red Cross, which was fine since they don’t need them in New Orleans, they’re just going to bulldoze that shit off. Oh I cut my sideburns and ate a piece of a piece of cake as blessing for them.

    Oh also last week, a friend taught me how to breathe. A few different ones, including fire-breathing. I guess it’s like kundalini, but that’s what he knows. Still have to read those books.

    Ok well I’m so jealous of you being over there. Maybe I’d be too, if that camera knew how to float. Do you know if mom and dad are going? Write me fool!

    -Krishna

  2. admin says:

    I’m assuming the cake was non-vegan, and that’s why you made that comment. Here’s another mystical book, it’s fiction, but it gives you the idea of it’s flavor, A River Sutra by Geeta Metha. That is the most beautiful prose I’ve ever read, it’s so languid and lyrical.

    I read this other than, my seat mate on the plane, gave me it, similar styles. It’s called, A Virtuous Woman, I don’t remeber the author’s name. That was an intriguing and simple read.

    See what you think.

  3. Alden says:

    I must convey my personal understanding for ones post. That is certainly fantastic to know that we now have such people like you that his or her work effectively sufficient reason for this sort of excitement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *