BootsnAll Travel Network



The Lake

Our first week back in Lincoln we’ve been trying to acclimate ourselves to “American time”, and American life. It’s been going allright. I think we both have felt pretty good, but we still find ourselves sleeping and eating at slightly strange and inconsistent hours.

It’s really weird to walk inside with shoes on.

Off interstate I-80, through the town of South Bend (pop. 92), over the railroad tracks, lies one of my favorite places in the world.

A beautiful community of homes, mansions, and cabins has sprung up around North Lake, just off the Platte River, over the past 45 years.

Our cove

My Great Grandparents, Earnie and Zina Foudray, bought a little lake bungalow around ’65. As the family has grown grandkid by grandkid, so has the house. Now it’s a nice 5 1/2 bedroom house, that can easily host 40 Foudray’s.

My mom, brothers and I first moved to Nebraska in 1997, however there wasn’t a year before that when we didn’t make the long drive up from Texas to visit family and enjoy time off. As a child my summers revolved around getting to stay with my Dad in the Dallas metro area, and spending the rest of my time in the cool spring fed water of “my Grandma’s lake”. As my family has changed, and I’ve moved I don’t know how many times, the lake has always been a constant of my life. Out here as a child I had free reign to swim in the lake, camp on the river, climb the hillsides and play my heart out. If there’s one place where I can say, “I grew up here” I suppose it would be the lake.

Rusty wheel

It’s a place where people wave to one another, and pick up their own trash. Eagles can be seen soaring over the river at the right times, and the sun sets in just the right spot. I’ve always been thankful to be a part of, and have a place like this, and I’m happy to be here now.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *