BootsnAll Travel Network



Needles and Cocktails

A cold Tuesday evening left us wwoofers gathered around the glowing warmth of our kotatsu. The rainy day kept us inside, applying labels to homeopathic remedies, preparing for the Earth Day celebration in Tokyo. We helped the new wwoofer Jessie, from Australia, settle in and feel at home. The kotatsu has a wonderful way of bringing anyone close together. Sipping vodka cocktails we shared stories of our past, how we got here, and our dreams for tomorrow. It was mentioned that Yoko, the new Japanese intern, just received her acupuncturist’s license. In awe we all congratulated her. She was quick to defer the compliments, but promptly displayed her travel size acupuncture kit. Astonished we all expressed our respective maladies hoping for the cure of a magic poke. Kaki’s hand, Jessie’s ankle.
Poke
Melissa described her hip problems of the past year, and Yoko asked her to please lie on her stomach. She carefully surveyed the area, looking closely for something that was beyond all of us. She closed her eyes and seemed to almost go into a trance like state. Once she felt right about the spot, the tiny needle touched the skin with surgical accuracy. With a firm twist, and a good flick, it is amazing what can happen. I politely refused the service, saying that I would take a rain check. Yoko refused to leave me out and had a specific point in mind. Sitting behind me she massaged the top of my head and seemed to find the exact top. As I sat with my eyes closed wondering what pain may ensue, I attempted to clear my mind. The instant the needle pierced my skin I felt a huge rush of warmth in my thighs. The energy quickly worked its way up into my core and abdominal area. The feeling was indescribable. I commented on feeling very disconnected from my environment, and became very relaxed. I slept like a baby. Melissa and I both agreed that we could definitely make a habit of this.



Tags: , , ,

One response to “Needles and Cocktails”

  1. Lora says:

    sounds amazing!! I need help with this chronic neck pain. Too bad she can’t make a house call. Love reading your blog!! Love MOM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *