BootsnAll Travel Network



Koh Chang, Thailand

~We’re back in Japan now. Our Internet access has been limited. I wrote this a couple weeks ago after our trip to Koh Chang Island.~

We hopped on to the ferry just as the gate began to rise. The engine of the huge boat revved and we chugged across the straight to Koh Chang Island, just off the coast of Trat city.

'ere she be mattie

In the hierarchy of Thailand beaches Koh Chang isn’t the grandest, but it was our only chance to be beach side while in Thailand. We had become slightly frustrated that after four months in Asia we had yet to actually swim in the ocean, so we jumped on the opportunity.

The beaches of Puhket, on the west side of the southern peninsula, are revered as the best (which also covered with high end resorts and overpriced restaurants) of the country. On the other side of the peninsula the islands and beaches are considered second best, and the islands of and around Koh Chang are third. The beaches of the main land and around Pataya are said to be the worst and full of garbage, prostitutes and German mafia. However, all of the top three have beautiful white sandy beaches and crystal clear water.

Number three was good enough for us. From Bangkok it was only a 5-hour bus ride, and a half hour ferry (this directly followed our 11 hour bus ride from Chiang Mai). Once we landed we took a taxi to the south west side of the island to Kai Bei beach. Given that it wasn’t peak season we found somewhat gloomy skies and very cheap bungalows.

Our bungalow

We paid 400 Baht (about $12) each night for our own free standing room right on the beach with the ocean just a seashell’s throw away. It was beautiful and despite some clouds we still managed to get a bit of red to our faces. We spent our three days swimming, exploring, and enjoying the company of one another, with the waves rushing to our feet.

Kai Bei Beach

This was after all our first wedding anniversary. We were married on a beach, in a hidden cove of the great state of Nebraska, and it seemed fitting to be on one again. We both couldn’t believe it had been a year already since that hot day in South Bend. We reminisced about the good times we all had, the delicious vegan wedding cake and all the amazing vegan food, the cold Lazlo’s beer on tap, and the bluegrass of the Toasted Ponies. Not to mention an amazing guest list of our friends and family we miss so much. Starring into the ocean it really sank in, we had come a long way in a year, in so many ways.

These were by far our favorite days in Thailand. Relaxation and peace and quite was exactly what we needed after our previous jungle excursion and the busyness of the cities. It was rather hard to wake up in the morning and make our way to the port.

We did though, excited in a new way. We had only one last adventure in Thailand…visiting a British citizen in a Thai prison.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *