BootsnAll Travel Network



The Ba’Aka Adventure – Part 4

The highlight of the trip with the Ba’Aka was seeing Rod hand over three large bundles of Central African Francs to Louis for distribution to the Ba’Aka that joined us, the other adults in the village and for funding their water well, medicines and other needs.  We came to CAR as a group because our mutual interest in seeing hunters and gatherers in their real setting and to help a much neglected tribe.  They certainly taught us a lot about how their traditional way of life and we were able to show them that there may be a possibility for them to maintain this way of life in conjunction with living in the modern world in a way that is satisfying for them.  The trip was experimental and although there are some things that need to be ironed out for it to become repeatable I think it was a huge success for the Ba’Aka as well as us.

 

I witnessed some very sad aspects of their lives mainly concerning medical problems that are so sad because they can be addressed and should have been addressed by now if the CAR government gave a damn and if the international community especially with regards to NGOs and UN cared a bit.  All have mostly turned their backs on the situation of these people being forced out of their ancient homeland and into a way of life, the village life, that they are ill-equipped to handle.  The village life presents the Ba’Aka with challenges such as disease and illness that are considered minor with modern medicine yet are devastating without.  For instance, many of the children suffer from conjunctivitis.  There is so much of it amongst them and we were in such close contact with them that I was sure I would get it.  Luckily, I knew I could get help.  Louis will be getting eye drops for this problem, but they need a long term solution.  They get chiggers in the village, too.  Many of the children are missing toes because this simply addressed issue is not being addressed.  Almost all of the Ba’Aka have deformed feet for the same reason.  Half of the Ba’Aka children die before they are two.  Women die giving birth.  Most of the children have parasites according to Louis.  My guess is that we got sick just from being in contact with them having these parasites.  They have NO medical care.  Louis does his best diagnosing and purchasing medications, but I know they would benefit greatly just with semi-annual visits from a real doctor/nurse. 

 

Rod and Louis are planning to create a trust fund for the Ba’Aka so that future trips such as this one as well as other sources can put money into the trust rather than make direct cash payments which are spent on good things as well as “bad”.  I do know that we did a wonderful thing for the Ba’Aka with our payment and it was a huge boost to their local economy, but they need a well-managed trust to make sure monies go towards medical, educational and other important village needs such as their water well.  If you have any interest diverting some of your charitable contributions to these amazing people, please let me know and I will work with Rod and Louis to see that the money is handled correctly.  You won’t get a tax deduction, but there are more important things in life than a tax deduction!  Also, if you have any interest on doing a difficult, but extremely rewarding (I would say life-changing) trip to see the Ba’Aka, let me know or contact Rod directly at www.silversafaris.com or www.gorillaadventures.com .  Finally, I am trying to work a few angles to see if I can get some attention for the Ba’Aka.  My main concern is basic health care although educational and environmental issues are also important things to be addressed.  I will be contacting an ex-UNICEF person I met in Latin America to see if the UN can be called in to help.  I met some Medicins sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders) doctors in Northern Cameroon who were headed into Chad and I let them know that I think they are the greatest charity group on earth.  My respect for them is without equal being that I have so much respect for medical people and these folks give up a lot to help people in very dangerous places.  They have no equals in my opinion.  I told them about the Ba’Aka and asked what can be done and one of them suggested that I contact Mia Farrow so I will be doing that soon.  I tried to get help for them from the Gates Foundation after the last trip, but I only got educated that I need to find a group to do the work and they can apply for foundation grants with their plan.  If any of you know of any groups or individuals that can help, please let me know.

 

Thank you Rod and Louis for planning such an amazing adventure.  It was wonderful to meet Torben, Heath, Katharina and Tali.  I hope we will all meet again.  My final image to leave you all with is the Ba’Aka children.  These people have some amazing talents and one that made my head spin and always put a smile on my face was hearing 2-5 year olds humming and whistling the songs that their elders sing.  The Ba’Aka music is incredible and it was fantastic to see it coming out of the kids.  There will at least be one more generation of Ba’Aka singing their traditional songs and maybe some things can be done to ensure that there will be many more to come.



Tags: ,

One response to “The Ba’Aka Adventure – Part 4”

  1. Jack Long says:

    My wife and I were Peace Corps Volunteers in C.A.R. from 1988 to 1990. For the ’89 – ’90 year, we were posted in Mongoumba on the DRC (Zaire) border. We saw many pygmies there. A pygmy village was just down the road and there was a local pygmy school. I enjoyed reading about your adventures. This summer, the CAR returned volunteers will have a reunion in Washington DC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *