BootsnAll Travel Network



Schedule…

I have decided to push off to Mexico City next Saturday rather than the previously scheduled flight the following Monday.  This will allow me to get to the bullfights on Sunday – another event loved by PETA.  I’m not sure what I will think about bullfighting, but given that this is the largest venue for it, I am sure the people-watching will be quite good.  I will be in Mexico City until December 7th when I fly to Guatemala City.  I am looking at Antigua, Tikal, Lake Atitlan and maybe Rio Dulce for places to visit.  I am only there until December 17 because I somehow got the idea to spend five days in Costa Rica.  Costa Rica is not real high on my must-do list, but there is plenty to keep me busy and all flights from Guatemala to Panama go through San Jose.  On December 22, I fly to Panama City to meet a group that I will kayak with in the San Blas Islands on the Caribbean side.  That trip will last until December 31st when I will find myself back in Panama City. 

I am currently looking at flying to Buca from Panama to enjoy that country before things chaneg more after their leader dies.  I have the opportunity to buy plane tickets for that flight in Mexico City since I cannot do so online because American credit cards cannot be used.  I have to be back in Panama on January 12th to catch a flight to Bogota, Colombia.  Now we’re getting scary!  Before heading to Quito, Ecuador on January 19th, I will go to Cartegena, Colombia which should be a spectacular sea-side colonial city.  In Ecuador I will meet my sister, Julie, and we will join a sailing kayak, snorkeling and hiking group tour of the Galapagos.  Friends, John and Jean Hackenburg, from Santa Rosa will also meet up with us in the Galapagos so this will be a great time.  After returning to Quito, we will spend some time in that area and we will be joined by my niece, Jillian.  Jill and I will continue on to Peru and Machu Picchu.  So by mid-February I will have seen my Top 3 for Latin America – 1) Buca, 2) Galapagos and 3) Machu Picchu.  I currently have no plans after mid-February, but I am still looking at seeing Bolivia, Chile, Patagonia, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Jamaica, Puerto Rico and maybe Venezuela.



Tags: , , , , ,

0 responses to “Schedule…”

  1. Anita Fiorillo says:

    I’m amazed by all this Oaxaca stuff – it’s a part of Mexico I absolutely love – and all this unrest worries me a lot – it could ruin the city – and the outlyling towns.nrnrThe last time we were at Monte Alban there was a huge thunderstorm moving across the valley – the sky was deep purple and it occurred to me that watching lightning hit that exposed mountain top while standing on it wasn’t too smart.nrnrI’ve eaten the fried grasshoppers – and I loved the flavor – but 45 minutes later I got violently sick – and I do mean violently. I figure the farmers have used a fair amount of pesticide on their fields – then caught the hoppers – and how exactly do you clean them? So is getting sick unexpected?nrnrI’ll see if I can get Alex to send you some Buca suggestions – she’s been there the most recently.

  2. John Fiorillo says:

    Glad you survived Oaxaca. Anita’s chapulina (grasshopper) experience was truly violent. That’s as ill as I’ve ever seen her.

    Suggestion for Costa Rica. Fly down to the Osa Peninsula if you possibly can. The flight in a twin engine isn’t that expensive and it’s among the most remote spots Anita and I have ever visited — Amazon included. There are a couple of places to stay, as well as a National Park in which you can camp.

    Don’t bother with San Jose. It’s nothing much.

    Have a great Christmas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *